Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

I need your opinion

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM
  • 20 Replies

What do you all think of having a child's birthday party at your home rather than at a place? My husband thinks its risky but I think it will save us some $$..what do you think?

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM
How old is said child? How many will b invited? What time of year?
Ive been brutally burned with 1 home party.. Lol.. Clean up took months!!!! Seriously. I had 15 2 year olds and their moms to my house. I rented a bounce house. It POURED! Everyone came.. No one was sick. I had icing from cupcakes everywhere!! No lie on the insides of kitchen drawers ( where little kids tried to get drawer open, but couldnt cause if baby proofing.) I had icing on the underside of my granite breakfast bar... Really it was a huge huge mess. the bouce house was huge waste if money since it never got used...
I have never had a kids party at home again. I will in the future when it is only 5 friends and maybe a camp out.. But otherwise too much cooking, cleaning, then cleaning again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Let's see 5 kids... 51 total Birthday's and we have done 3 of them at locations (my oldest had 2 bowling parties, and my second oldest went to a gymnastic center last year).

and they each basically get two parties from kindergarten on... 1 family, 1 friends each year..... this way I don't have to worry about my mother in law going left field with a house full of kids. 

Wife to John; Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex;
Full time Aunt to Carly-Ann.

Jennifair
by Jen on Jan. 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I can't have a home party( my place is to small ) I always have to find a place and that's kinda a pain. But with what SamMom said I don't know if I'd want a home party LOL . Little to no clean up is nice. But it really all depends on age and number of people. I'm sure whatever you decide the child will love! 

Bethy16
by Beth on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I do my sons party at home every summer. We have it down to a science but I panic at the thought of rain. But I have a pool and its outside. I just had my daughters birthday party at home last week. 6 kids including my own. She turned 4. I had them decorate aprons, they ate pizza then they decorated cupcakes i made a head of time and they decorated cake boxes. The whole party cost me a little over $100 I didn't do favors since they got the apron and cupcakes to take home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samantha228
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Well her birthday is not until June so therefore it will be warm out. Brittany will be 8 and I dont antcipate more than 24 kids. See she went to a birthday party today at a rock climbing place locally. I checked out their website and its like 280-300 dollars!!! SERIOUSLY! I mean for that kind of money I can buy pizzas, cake, and party favors and decorations. I mean growing up I had many of my own birthday parties at my house and it turned out great!

Samantha228
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM

But the fact that there could be rain is a concern. My house is NOT big enough.. I mean yes John and I do an annual open barbecue for St Patricks Day every year because we live in Pearl River and the parade goes through Central Ave where we live.. But mostly its friends and neighbors who come but they are not inside only.. in and out lol

Bethy16
by Beth on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM
My sons party at home cost me a lot of money. My dad is a caterer so I only pay cost for food but it is still expensive. Because it is a pool party I insist a parent stays with them. He turned 8 this year so figure 20 kids from school plus parents plus outside friends and parents and usually they bring a sibling. Lots of people. I stopped buying a lot of decorations and go ton the dollar store for plates and stuff. For a favor this year I had each kid tie dye a tank top. O got a ton of them on sale. There are a lot of creative things you can do but honestly $300 is not so bad. It might cost you about the same in pizza, cake, and activities

Quoting Samantha228:

Well her birthday is not until June so therefore it will be warm out. Brittany will be 8 and I dont antcipate more than 24 kids. See she went to a birthday party today at a rock climbing place locally. I checked out their website and its like 280-300 dollars!!! SERIOUSLY! I mean for that kind of money I can buy pizzas, cake, and party favors and decorations. I mean growing up I had many of my own birthday parties at my house and it turned out great!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Samantha228
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM

No you're right its not that bad..We'll just have to see day by day I guess

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM
I always have the kids parties at home and they still run me no less than $500. I've never had sammoms experience, thankk God! But its mostly family and close friends we invite.
If we were inviting school friends I probably wouldn't have it at my house because my husband and I are clean freaks and id have a fit.
We rent a tent for all outdoor parties, just in case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM

CJ's 7th Birthday was my most expensive, at that was $75 because I needed to get fleece for no sew pillows (which should NEVER go in a sentace with 7 yr old boys).
Otherwise with craft, and cupcakes I usually spend about $50. I make the cupcakes. 
Carly's tea party was a little crazy this year, but that is partly because my two girlfriends went crazy on favors........ and it was her gift from them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN