Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

wow in need of good work ideas

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 18 Replies

Ok  I am in the fight of my life and my stress level is out of control..  but I'm not writing about that.. I'm writing about any ideas what I can do  besides what I do??

Ok I have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) with a minor in human biology   graduated in 2001-good school 3.2 GPA -   lots of continuing Ed.. but I need a new career  but I don't want to go back to school although I have not completely debunked the idea I just think it is too expensive ....  what can a nurse do besides work in a hospital homecare or nursing home or Md office??

I need a plan because honestly I'm probably going to get fired and I'm not compromizing my personal liberty for anyone...    this is all over mandatory flu vaccine  at work which is BS I don''t vaccinate and I'm not starting now ... so they masked those of us who refused fine... then they told patients that the masked nurses refused flu vaccine-- so I forwarded the email of them violating my HIPPA to the department of health and human services  and now they sited the hospital and mentioned my name ....  so it's only a matter of time before they axe me..but honestly I'm done  I need a new career ....

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
keljo05
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM
3 moms liked this
What about working in an insurance company. While not for nursing, I've been hired by unitedhealth group and the company has a great benefits package as well as a good reputation as an employer.

I know there are nurses that work for them and something like that might be worth looking into.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethy16
by Beth on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
What about in social services? My mom is an rn and she worked for our county assessing people for home health aids. Or if you can handle the depressing part what about hospice care?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Above have some great suggestions. What about a school / college nurse or teaching nursing?
I was very thankful and appreciative of the nurses that helped my MIL die at home with care from hospice. I like that suggestion a lot. It takes a special person to help someone on the way out... Im forever grateful to those nurses who helped and have tons of respect.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elwalters77
by Erica on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Nurse educator comes to mind. Would working in a small private practice be a better choice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I don't know if you can get into the nursing field without the annual flu vaccine. 

Hospitals defidently pay more than any private practice (and I believe you are the breadwinner in your house). 

I really don't know... I have friends in hospitals and in MD offices.... and everyone requires the annual flu vaccine. 

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM
I have worked in hospitals and private drs offices as a certified tech for 20 yrs and have never once been asked to get a flu shot. I worked with inpatients as well as outpatients in the hospital (as well as prisoners).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MELRN
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Thanks ladies  some great ideas I'm doing my resume as we speak .....  yes I've been the bread winner here for 2 year 5 months (but who's counting)  My DH is in scholl and will final be done in June ...which may bring some reprieve hopefully ??  back to normal

Emschick38
by Ali on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I would look into schools or private practices. Also check with local ems agencies, I know some (I dont now about in NY state, but out of NYS it happens) they run nurses in ambulances or on helicopters

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Quoting Emschick38:

I would look into schools or private practices. Also check with local ems agencies, I know some (I dont now about in NY state, but out of NYS it happens) they run nurses in ambulances or on helicopters

THe handful of nurses I know of on ambulances are part of a speciality hospital transport team and are subject to the rules of the hospital.

I only of know one flight services that uses nurses and that is Mercy Flight.... and they charge a large chunk of change for transports. 

Wife to John; Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex;
Full time Aunt to Carly-Ann.

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I would look in to the school systems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)