Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you think about this ?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM
  • 5 Replies

I need to pick some brains and am looking for opinions.

I have been on unemployment for over a year now and want to be working again. 

I have interviewed with and been hired as backup for 2 different training classes with UnitedHealth Group. Backup meaning that the classes were filled but people typically drop out or fail background check so they hire so many as backups to fill the spaces. My background has completed successfully.

the first class started 12/17 and I did not get into that class.

I interviewed for another position and was hired as backup for that class, which starts on 1/22.

Last Monday I got an unexpected call from the onsite recruiter telling me she was 98% sure that I was getting into the 1/22 class. I asked when I would hear by and she said probably Friday. She told me that 4 of the 12 had dropped out of the class... and I know I was backup #2. I don't know if they were going to try and do a last min interview to fill any of the spaces.. i didn't think to ask her that.

I didn't get a call by friday either way but I choose to see that as positive as I didn't ask by whom or how I would be contacted. When offered the position(s) I was called by the offer department in another area of the country. I also know that i I hadn't had the lovely timing to be interviewed as backup then I would have rcvd an offer letter in the mail.

Today I went to certify my unemployment benefits but rcvd an error message stating that their records show I worked part time or full time last week. I called to see what was up and the records at Unemployment show me employed by UnitedHealth Group as of 12/17. 

Interestingly enough the rep I spoke with also once worked for United Health Group and went thru the process as hired as backup for a training class. I told her about the dates and that I feel that they put me in for the 1/22 class but my file still had the 12/17 date on it. She understood that and cleared my file so I could claim my benefits.

I have not had the problem with unemployment before today and if they always had me on record for the 12/17 class I would have had this problem going back to the beginning of december. Or so I want to believe.

anyone have any opinions on this? would you agree with my thinking? or am I overthinking it?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I am confused. 

You are possibly in a training class starting this coming Monday? Yet, somehow got entered in a class that started last month? 

keljo05
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM

it's confusing..especially the way I explained it... let me try again.

I interviewed and was hired in the beginning of December for a training class that started 12/17. I was not needed as backup for that class. The next class or this position is possibly in March. If it's scheduled then I get into that class regardless as the hiring manager loved me, lol.

However I need to work preferably before that and 2 days later I applied for and inteviewed for and was hired for another position in the same company... but as backup again since I have such great timing. That class starts 1/22.

I'm thinking that they updated my files to show I will be working there, but since I was also on call or the 12/17 class that my file was updated with that start date instead of 1/22... which is why unemployment thought I started working as of 12/17.

did that help or should I give up trying to explain this so it makes sense, lol?  I understand it all from the multiple meetings, but have had to explain mutliple times, mostly to my mom and my inlaws. Then came the fun of explaining the shift bidding as well, lol. I want to start work so I don't have to try and get them to understand, lol.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I am confused. 

You are possibly in a training class starting this coming Monday? Yet, somehow got entered in a class that started last month? 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:55 PM

So, you are wondering if you should continue on unemployment while you wait for the next training group for the dept. that started 12/17

rather than the other dept that starts next week, but might not be waht you want to do for 20 yrs?

Quoting keljo05:

I interviewed and was hired in the beginning of December for a training class that started 12/17. I was not needed as backup for that class. The next class or this position is possibly in March. If it's scheduled then I get into that class regardless as the hiring manager loved me, lol.

However I need to work preferably before that and 2 days later I applied for and inteviewed for and was hired for another position in the same company... but as backup again since I have such great timing. That class starts 1/22.

did that help or should I give up trying to explain this so it makes sense? lol

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I am confused. 

keljo05
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM

ugh.. no i'm making a mess of explaining this. I think this is why I haven't been talking about this much to anyone, lol.

The first position is for a job I would be fine with, but not actually love. The class that is starting on 1/22 is for the position I wanted to start with.

My main attraction to this company is the company itself. The recruiter told me she sees me moving up very fast once I am in. I am not attached to either position other than getting in the door and starting work.

Unemployment has been a very stressful couple of weeks with the congressional extension and if it applied to me... I have been on extended unemployment but wasnt sure if I was getting to the next tier with the timing. I did make the next tier and other than one thing unemployment isn't the issue.

the only reason unemployment figures into this story is because of the error today where unemployment had me listed as working. This was the first time I ever had that occur.

My question is if my thinking that the reason that unemployment had me listed as working is because UnitedHealth Group updated my file during last week because they are putting me into the 1/22 class, even though I haven't gotten my official notification yet.

However because I was also potentially working on 12/17, that date is showing up in the great world of unemployment. I know for a fact I was the only backup person for the 12/17 class that immediately applied for another position to try and get into another training class.

If I'm still not making sense then I give up and we can imagine that I never wrote  any of this since I'm explaining it so bad, lol

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

So, you are wondering if you should continue on unemployment while you wait for the next training group for the dept. that started 12/17

rather than the other dept that starts next week, but might not be waht you want to do for 20 yrs?

Quoting keljo05:

did that help or should I give up trying to explain this so it makes sense? lol

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I am confused. 

Jillysmom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM

bump for othera

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)