Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

New NY Gun Law and Federal Executive Order

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this
Let's have a discussion. What are your thoughts/feelings on the new NY state gun law and the executive orders signed by the president today? This is a touchy, controversial subject, so please, be nice, respectful and keep your big girl panties on. If you cannot discuss this like an adult without being mean to others or calling names, please move on. Thanks!
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Well dh is prety pissed. Cant have a gun in the house if you have someone with a mental disorder living there. Ie:me. Not that I would ever let him have a gun but it's just bullshit. Why should he be punished because of a stigma that related to the person he chose to marry?? The idiots who chose to murder innocent children only went for the insanity defence because its one of the "guaranteed" ways to get off scott free.
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't agree with all of it. 

We have a couple of hunting guns (my father in law's guns live with us because of rules in his Senior Subsides apartment building); my husband has a handgun for range use. 

Given that he called in April 2011 to get his appoinment for pistol permit, had to fill out more papers than I care to recall, 3 references. Then go in in October 2011 for his actual appointment to fill out the paperwork for a full background check (mind you, at the time he had FEDERAL background checks for the Syracuse Airport), fingerprinting, etc... 
Didn't get his "Congratualtions, you have a permit" letter until March or April of this year..... So 14 to 15 months....

Then to actually buy his handgun in October (we had to save up), he had to have the background check run again, take the paperwork to the County, wait for it to be signed by the Judge, etc... to take back to the dealer to actually get his gun.

Trust me folks, the BAD guys, the PEOPLE we need to worry about... aren't going through all that to get their hands on any kind of firearm! 

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I don't agree with all of it. 

We have a couple of hunting guns (my father in law's guns live with us because of rules in his Senior Subsides apartment building); my husband has a handgun for range use. 

Given that he called in April 2011 to get his appoinment for pistol permit, had to fill out more papers than I care to recall, 3 references. Then go in in October 2011 for his actual appointment to fill out the paperwork for a full background check (mind you, at the time he had FEDERAL background checks for the Syracuse Airport), fingerprinting, etc... 
Didn't get his "Congratualtions, you have a permit" letter until March or April of this year..... So 14 to 15 months....

Then to actually buy his handgun in October (we had to save up), he had to have the background check run again, take the paperwork to the County, wait for it to be signed by the Judge, etc... to take back to the dealer to actually get his gun.

Trust me folks, the BAD guys, the PEOPLE we need to worry about... aren't going through all that to get their hands on any kind of firearm! 

I totally agree. the bad guys are not going through the checks. They will either buy one off of the street, or steal one.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jan. 16, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I'm also fairly certain it applies to civilians, not the really important politicians. I disagree with this completely. It just doesn't sit right  with me at  all.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:52 PM
As we don't have any guns I don't even know what the law states. I grew up with guns in the house but we don't have any ourselves.
However I will agree, the people who will use guns for crime aren't likely to go through the correct process. It was a nice thought they had, but like eerything else, just too faulty to really work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have a problem with no guns being allowed in a home where someone has a mental illness. I think it is the safest common denominator.  I think it is inconvieninet for the person who is living in the home who is not ill. But en there should be a safe place (out of the home) where said indivdual could keep his weaponry. The most recent idiot who killed all those children (provoking all this gun control) didn't go for an insanity defense, he killed himself as soon as he heard sirens coming and he was (obviously) mentally unstable due to a mental illness.  

I believe that anyone who has a psych DX and takes mood altering medication should not be able to easily get their hands on a weapon. I do think those lines get muddy (what is mentally ill, what is a mood altering medication) and I certainly dont think it is absolutely 100 percent fair, but given the recent events, I'm willing to hurt a few feelings and inconvenience a few people to err on the side of safety for all of our children. 

I think that no one on this earth who is not a soldier at war needs any gun that fires off multiple rounds in miliseconds. I am all for removing them from sale to the average person. 

I also like that police will be notified if a large amount of ammo is sold. It just lets cops and other law enforcement know what is going on, who to look out for and how to keep themselves safe in the process. 

I also think that the people who do break the law and commit horrid crimes like the one in Newtown dont typically get their guns legally. But perhaps if less guns are available, and "around", then less can be used for illegal (and heartbreaking, family devastating) crimes. 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM

John's gun (the handgun) has to either on his person (to go to/from the range) or locked in our house. 

Quoting SamMom912:

I don't have a problem with no guns being allowed in a home where someone has a mental illness. I think it is the safest common denominator.  I think it is inconvieninet for the person who is living in the home who is not ill. But en there should be a safe place (out of the home) where said indivdual could keep his weaponry. The most recent idiot who killed all those children (provoking all this gun control) didn't go for an insanity defense, he killed himself as soon as he heard sirens coming and he was (obviously) mentally unstable due to a mental illness.  

I believe that anyone who has a psych DX and takes mood altering medication should not be able to easily get their hands on a weapon. I do think those lines get muddy (what is mentally ill, what is a mood altering medication) and I certainly dont think it is absolutely 100 percent fair, but given the recent events, I'm willing to hurt a few feelings and inconvenience a few people to err on the side of safety for all of our children. 

I think that no one on this earth who is not a soldier at war needs any gun that fires off multiple rounds in miliseconds. I am all for removing them from sale to the average person. 

I also think that the people who do break the law and commit horrid crimes like the one in Newtown dont typically get their guns legally. But perhaps if less guns are available, and "around", then less can be used for illegal (and heartbreaking, family devastating) crimes. 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Adam Lanzas mother locked her guns in the house too. I dont think IN the house is safe enough anymore. IMO. 

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

John's gun (the handgun) has to either on his person (to go to/from the range) or locked in our house. 

Quoting SamMom912

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I understand that.... 

What I am saying, is that with John's pistol permit, his pistol can not be at another address. His father's gun had to be signed over to him so that it could be locked in our cabinet (so John has 2 pistols on his license). John could sign it over to someone with a pistol permit, but that then makes it their gun. 

"Long" guns (your average hunting rifles, etc) don't have the same regulation. 

I also wonder what safety measures did she (Lanza's Mom) take with her weapons? 

We have two locked cabinets.... The long guns and hand gun ammo are in one; the pistols and shot gun ammo is in the other.... meaning you need BOTH keys to use either style.

In addition each gun has a gun lock/trigger lock on it, and each requires a seperate key. John is the only person with the lock keys. He has a key to each cabinet, and I know where the "spare" cabinet keys are hidden. 

We have all metal cabinets, John and I refuse to get one with a decorative glass front..... 

Quoting SamMom912:

Adam Lanzas mother locked her guns in the house too. I dont think IN the house is safe enough anymore. IMO. 

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting SamMom912

Wife to John; Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex;
Full time Aunt to Carly-Ann.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I dont doubt you fo everything as safe as u can. I didnt realize that a gun registered in johns name couldnt be kept elsewhere. 

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I understand that.... 

What I am saying, is that with John's pistol permit, his pistol can not be at another address. His father's gun had to be signed over to him so that it could be locked in our cabinet (so John has 2 pistols on his license). John could sign it over to someone with a pistol permit, but that then makes it their gun. 

"Long" guns (your average hunting rifles, etc) don't have the same regulation. 

I also wonder what safety measures did she (Lanza's Mom) take with her weapons? 

We have two locked cabinets.... The long guns and hand gun ammo are in one; the pistols and shot gun ammo is in the other.... meaning you need BOTH keys to use either style.

In addition each gun has a gun lock/trigger lock on it, and each requires a seperate key. John is the only person with the lock keys. He has a key to each cabinet, and I know where the "spare" cabinet keys are hidden. 

We have all metal cabinets, John and I refuse to get one with a decorative glass front..... 

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting SamMom912

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN