Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

New NY Gun Law and Federal Executive Order

Posted by   + Show Post
Let's have a discussion. What are your thoughts/feelings on the new NY state gun law and the executive orders signed by the president today? This is a touchy, controversial subject, so please, be nice, respectful and keep your big girl panties on. If you cannot discuss this like an adult without being mean to others or calling names, please move on. Thanks!
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Replies (31-37):
LILLISMOM312
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:04 AM

The bad guys as you put it, will not be able to get guns as easily as before and while this may have inconvenienced you and your spouse, I am sure as a Mom, you would appreciate it if someone in your town is prevented from getting his or her hands on a gun and going to your kids school, the local mall, theatre, etc. and shooting your child, you or a family member or friend!  The world has changed and everyone should step outside themselves and realize that all of the changes at gun shops, airports, etc are for our own good! I have gone to Newtown every Halloween and to every parade and had to have seen some of the children and families affected my the recent shooting.  The town is picture perfect and has such a sense of community and is so family oriented.  No One would ever imagine this would happen.  I am sure all gun enthusiasts in Newtown are understanding of the new preventive measures that are in place.  There have been too many incidences like this and there has to be changes.  I am sure that aside from the obvious, there will be many other systems in place to catch those who try and get guns in illegal ways!  Your rights to bear arms has not been taken away, please just be patient and understanding that the government is just trying to spare lives!  The latest incident were first graders and innocent teachers!   

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:51 PM

apparently as part of this brain child..... 

you can't have weapons on school grounds (okay, good thing right?)... THEY DIDN'T MAKE AN EXCEPTION FOR POLICE OFFICERS! 

Yet in the Presidental plan (is it 23 points or 32 point plan that was linked all over facebook?) one of the points was to increase funding for more schools to have "Resource" Officers which are UNIFORMED POLICE OFFICERS.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 18, 2013 at 9:52 PM

How is it that you think they won't be able to get guns as easily as before? 

Quoting LILLISMOM312:

The bad guys as you put it, will not be able to get guns as easily as before and while this may have inconvenienced you and your spouse, I am sure as a Mom, you would appreciate it if someone in your town is prevented from getting his or her hands on a gun and going to your kids school, the local mall, theatre, etc. and shooting your child, you or a family member or friend!  The world has changed and everyone should step outside themselves and realize that all of the changes at gun shops, airports, etc are for our own good! I have gone to Newtown every Halloween and to every parade and had to have seen some of the children and families affected my the recent shooting.  The town is picture perfect and has such a sense of community and is so family oriented.  No One would ever imagine this would happen.  I am sure all gun enthusiasts in Newtown are understanding of the new preventive measures that are in place.  There have been too many incidences like this and there has to be changes.  I am sure that aside from the obvious, there will be many other systems in place to catch those who try and get guns in illegal ways!  Your rights to bear arms has not been taken away, please just be patient and understanding that the government is just trying to spare lives!  The latest incident were first graders and innocent teachers!   

Wife to John; Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex;
Full time Aunt to Carly-Ann.

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I feel as though our Government has completely gone over board and fast. 

While I understand the need to try and stop the violence this is NOT the answer.

There are many contributing factors to all of this violence and it's not the guns them selves.

Lets take a look at what I feel are the ills of society today leading to such tragic events.

Today we are raising a bunch of selfish, inconsiderate kids who feel as though the world owes them everything and when they don't get it they act a fool. They have a complete lack of respect for them selves and the world around them.

What ever happened to working for the stuff you need and want and that since of accomplishment that comes from doing so? It's no longer there because every one expects that to be handed to them because we have a government that taught us this is the way to go.

I also firmly believe and I know the majority of you will completely disagree with me and that is fine but please respect my opinion as I would respect yours. I believe that a Mom should be just that, especially while their children are young. I believe it is a Moms job to raise thier children by staying home to do so. I know , I know not everyone can afford to do that and some are single Moms who have no choice.

I also believe that kids are being affected by not being raised in a two parent house hold.

I believe that society in general is a hot mess. When I was growing up we did not see Victorias secret models half nude on TV, we didn't see a bunch of ambulance chasing lawyer commercials on TV, we didn't have a ton of violent music and video games along with violent music videos. Yeah, I also know the argument of nature verses nurture and IMO it's a filaed argument, IMO. Keep desentsitizing our children to mindless violence and they will eventually see nothing wrong with it. It will be just a way of life, as it is, now, in todays sick world.

I also believe that our entire legal and criminal system needs a complete over haul. Since when should a kid who's 18 years old be punished for 5 years in prison for having consentual sex with a 16 year old. Add to that the life long registered sex offender list.

Add to that people murdering people and getting out of jail in 25 years.

DWI repeat offenders who get behind the wheel and kill a family or a person and get off scott free.

Mental health also needs to be addressed.

I could go on and maybe when I find the time I will but for now I think most of you understand how I feel or at least where I'm coming from.

Jers.
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is ridiculous and the way it was done - hastily and during the night - really bothers me.  That our elected officials can pull something like this is a bit scary.

In addition to the points already made here, this legislation puts a lot of pressure on mental health professionals to report anything and everything.  How many of us have said "I'm so mad, I could kill him". Well that statement may get reported and your gun seized.  They will also be held responsible for not reporting someone who eventually shoots someone and will face criminal sanctions, so there will be much over-reporting and many people not seeking help out of fear of being reported and blacklisted.

nanalyn1
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I think it is great...

elwalters77
by Erica on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

I feel as though our Government has completely gone over board and fast. I agree

While I understand the need to try and stop the violence this is NOT the answer. Agree again

There are many contributing factors to all of this violence and it's not the guns them selves. word

Lets take a look at what I feel are the ills of society today leading to such tragic events.

Today we are raising a bunch of selfish, inconsiderate kids who feel as though the world owes them everything and when they don't get it they act a fool. They have a complete lack of respect for them selves and the world around them. Yup!

What ever happened to working for the stuff you need and want and that since of accomplishment that comes from doing so? It's no longer there because every one expects that to be handed to them because we have a government that taught us this is the way to go.

I also firmly believe and I know the majority of you will completely disagree with me and that is fine but please respect my opinion as I would respect yours. I believe that a Mom should be just that, especially while their children are young. I believe it is a Moms job to raise thier children by staying home to do so. I know , I know not everyone can afford to do that and some are single Moms who have no choice. I think it is a shame that most families cannot make it comfortably on one income anymore. For a lot of moms, it's not about wanting to work, but HAVING to work. For me, I need something beside just being mom to fulfill me, but I don't need a full time away from the home job. I'm enjoying doing Kindermusik and what's great about it is that most of it I do at home, around the needs of my family. The kids can come with me to class if they need to and they are getting the benefit of and enjoying the music and activites Kindermusik provides. I hated working full time. It sucks being away from your kids so much when you don't want to. I wish more of us were able to really have a choice.

I also believe that kids are being affected by not being raised in a two parent house hold. Good point. Not that it can always be helped, but there is certainly a lot more of that today then there was 50 years ago.

I believe that society in general is a hot mess. When I was growing up we did not see Victorias secret models half nude on TV, we didn't see a bunch of ambulance chasing lawyer commercials on TV, we didn't have a ton of violent music and video games along with violent music videos. Yeah, I also know the argument of nature verses nurture and IMO it's a filaed argument, IMO. Keep desentsitizing our children to mindless violence and they will eventually see nothing wrong with it. It will be just a way of life, as it is, now, in todays sick world. Things seemed to be more innocent and wholesome then.

I also believe that our entire legal and criminal system needs a complete over haul. Since when should a kid who's 18 years old be punished for 5 years in prison for having consentual sex with a 16 year old. Add to that the life long registered sex offender list. I totally agree with this!

Add to that people murdering people and getting out of jail in 25 years.

DWI repeat offenders who get behind the wheel and kill a family or a person and get off scott free.

Mental health also needs to be addressed. I think that is a major factor here, that was poorly addressed, like the rest of it.

I could go on and maybe when I find the time I will but for now I think most of you understand how I feel or at least where I'm coming from.

To add to this, I also think a lot of it has to do with what is seen in the media. Stories are sensationalized and it seems all we ever hear about, for the most part, are the sad stories. It makes you feel things are worse than they really are. It would be nice to hear more happy news, but that's  not what sells. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)