Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

DOT "moved" Rte 31

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 8 Replies

If you are in the Syracuse area this will make more sense. 

Last week my DH and I were driving North on Rte 48 and noticed at the "4 Corners" (or downtown Baldwinsville) that the Rte 31 sign arrowed left and right. It used to only point Right, to head towards Liverpool/Clay.

What is presumed... is that with all the semi's that used to hold up traffic at the 4 corners with right hand turns (usually 48/31 over lap to 31 East) that they moved the signs so that they go strait down what is now 370/31 to get to 690 South. Then cross the river get off 690 at the 1st exit, and continue onto 31 west towards Jordan. 

What this means for me?

I am now SOUTH of Rte 31... lol

The weather men like to use either the NYS Thruway or Rte 31 as the "markers" for weather. 

Expect heaviest lake effect North of....... 

Wife to John; Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex;
Full time Aunt to Carly-Ann.

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lish2127
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Definitely a tight intersection for turns. I don't think the snow bands will get the memo though! I am just a mile north of the thruway and we still seem to miss out on the bands most of the time.

Jillysmom
by Adele on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

got to love when they just move things around

Kmary
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Haha!  Maybe you'll get less snow now.  Just kidding. 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Quoting Kmary:

that was the joke last night at dinner, and "pity" for teh friends that are still north of it... lol

When they used the Thruway as the marker there was some truth to it...

Kmary
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I've lived here my whole life and you're right, very oddly, there is truth to it.  And I've never quite understood how it's possible.  About 10 years ago when I first graduated from college I took a teaching job at CNS high school in Cicero, but was still living at home with my parents in Fayetteville.  I can not tell you how many days I would wake up to a decent winter day with green grass in Fayetteville only to drive the 20 minutes to Cicero and have it be a crazy whiteout with several inches of snow.  I do know that lake effect bands are very specific as to where they dump snow, but even so I used to question how 2 areas in such close proximity to one another could be so drastically different weather-wise ALL THE TIME.  It was nuts.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Kmary:

that was the joke last night at dinner, and "pity" for teh friends that are still north of it... lol

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:12 PM

You are local enough to figure this out. 

I know 100% what you mean! We live right near Lock 24 in Baldwinsville; my husband works part time at NAVAC in North Syracuse, and Full Time at WAVES in Camillus (with shifts 2 at Minoa a week).  

Monday night he went to NAVAC for 5 hrs. 481 was horrible once he passed the Caughdnoy (sp) rd exit, and was horrible down 31 until he got to River Rd/Belgium Bridge. Village of Baldwinsville was clear. 

Quoting Kmary:

I've lived here my whole life and you're right, very oddly, there is truth to it.  And I've never quite understood how it's possible.  About 10 years ago when I first graduated from college I took a teaching job at CNS high school in Cicero, but was still living at home with my parents in Fayetteville.  I can not tell you how many days I would wake up to a decent winter day with green grass in Fayetteville only to drive the 20 minutes to Cicero and have it be a crazy whiteout with several inches of snow.  I do know that lake effect bands are very specific as to where they dump snow, but even so I used to question how 2 areas in such close proximity to one another could be so drastically different weather-wise ALL THE TIME.  It was nuts.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Kmary:

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I would like to think that thdy would have notified residents some how.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

I would like to think that thdy would have notified residents some how.

why would they do such a silly thing? the best is trying to figure out when the signs changes... 

espeically since the fire dept didn't get any notifications.... unless they (higher ups) failed to share it with the fire men

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN