Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

yeahhhh, no thanks!

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 15 Replies
I was at Starbucks earlier with giuliana and she was having mini melt down. Tired? Cold hands because she woulnt wear her mittens?
So she standing there crying and some perfect stranger comes up to and asks if I want him to "hold and comfort your daughter for you"
Ummmmmmmm, NO thanks! Who the hell does that?? We were there about a minute, I was on line waiting for my drink, so not like I was sitting down ignoring her. I was holding her and she wanted to get down so I put her down. But no I don't want some strange guy holding my daughter.
It may even be her teeth, even last night shed get up screaming for a few minutes every hour or so. Maybe a combo of all 3? But regardless I thought it was odd. Its not like I was frazzled by it. I wasn't bothered at all. Babies cry.
Of course there was the lady on the phone who made a comment about not being able to hear the person she was talking on the phone with so I replied back "welcome to the public world, want quiet? Go home".
Seriously people, it was less than a minute of crying. Not screaming, not earpiercing wails, a minutge of a baby crying.
Wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I know what you mean. 
I have had people offer to comfort them. 

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Do people not think? How often is a baby going to calm down while they're upset if a perfect stranger picks them up? I'm sure some would, but not many and certainly not mine!

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I know what you mean. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Honestly, I laughed. Who does that?!

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I don't know what people think. Was it an older gentleman? He could have brain farted on the "differnt times" now... where I am sure 30 yrs ago people offered to help more often than not. 

I know I have had Alex and CJ both stop throwing a fit if the person behind me in a check out line starts talking to them, playing peek a bo or something..... 

Quoting Cecelia712:

Do people not think? How often is a baby going to calm down while they're upset if a perfect stranger picks them up? I'm sure some would, but not many and certainly not mine!

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I know what you mean. 

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Only thing I thought of was he was flamboyantly gay. Maybe he wants kids?
I didn't say no because he's gay, gay, straight, male or female, I wouldn't let a stranger hold her, but that was my one thought.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Honestly, I laughed. Who does that?!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emschick38
by Ali on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I once had a lady offer to hold Anna at Walmart. I had a cart full of stuff, Abi sleeping in the cart and my arms felt like they were going to fall off as I held anna and unloaded the cart. I took her up on the offer, Anna loved it because the lady just played peekaboo with her. I knew that if need be I could take the lady. I agree it can be weird but I also believe that sometimes it can be genuine desire to help.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM
I agree, I'm sure it was a genuine offer to help, but I wasn't frazzled by it. She wasn't in the throws of a major melt down or anything. She was crying. And I think the way he worded it as offering to comfort her is whagt bugged me. I can comfort my own child, but sometimes they just need to get it out of their system. I had been holding her. She didn't want to be held. She was having a bad moment.
Now how he just tried playing a game of peek a boo or talking to her then ok, not that it would've worked with her anyway, but he could've tried. But asking a mom if some stranger can comfort their baby? That's odd to me.

Quoting Emschick38:

I once had a lady offer to hold Anna at Walmart. I had a cart full of stuff, Abi sleeping in the cart and my arms felt like they were going to fall off as I held anna and unloaded the cart. I took her up on the offer, Anna loved it because the lady just played peekaboo with her. I knew that if need be I could take the lady. I agree it can be weird but I also believe that sometimes it can be genuine desire to help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I'd be more bothered by the lady on the phone.  How rude.  People have this idea that coffee shops are meant to be their own personal offices or libraries...and they're  not.  They are public places where there will be noise.  For quiet, one should go to a library or go home.  That is ridiculous.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Oh I totally agree. But I guess since I do encounter that more often I'm used to it. My now 3 yr old cried non stop for the first year. I had all sorts of nasty comments from people.
I did inform her it was a public place and to go home if she wants quiet.
And ever been in a starbucks? They're not quiet. Between tthe machines, and they play the music loud and other people talking. And furthermore, I find it rude for people to be carrying on private conversations in public anyway.
So exactly, want quiet? Go sit in your car or go home.

Quoting Kmary:

Honestly, I'd be more bothered by the lady on the phone.  How rude.  People have this idea that coffee shops are meant to be their own personal offices or libraries...and they're  not.  They are public places where there will be noise.  For quiet, one should go to a library or go home.  That is ridiculous.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emschick38
by Ali on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Yeah i can see the wording as weird. Because any one with kids your dds age should know that a stranger probably wont be any comfort. Anna was only a few months old maybe 6.

Quoting Cecelia712:

I agree, I'm sure it was a genuine offer to help, but I wasn't frazzled by it. She wasn't in the throws of a major melt down or anything. She was crying. And I think the way he worded it as offering to comfort her is whagt bugged me. I can comfort my own child, but sometimes they just need to get it out of their system. I had been holding her. She didn't want to be held. She was having a bad moment.

Now how he just tried playing a game of peek a boo or talking to her then ok, not that it would've worked with her anyway, but he could've tried. But asking a mom if some stranger can comfort their baby? That's odd to me.

Quoting Emschick38:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN