Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

4 minutes til wine is poured!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 18 Replies

My son Sam ( for those that DONT know is on the spectrum with sensory issues, and SERIOUS anxiety problems. He is 6). Yesterday he got sent home from school with a 99.1 temp. I gave him Ibpro and he seemed better. I kept him home today and at around 12 he was feeling REALLY warm. Now we have 2 good braun thermometers (that go in the ear) but neither was giving me a good reading. I could NEVER get the "real" thermometer readings very well so when DS was little I got these. They worked well... until today. I took temp it said 100.9.. then I took mine, it said 94... so, I figured DS has fever, and called Dr.

Gave me 2:45 appointment... and at 2:15 I told Sam we were going. He FLIPPED. Started screaming... Im not going.., calmly put his coat, sneakers, ipad and blanket into the car...asked him to come with, he is still screaming how he is NOT GOING. finally, I picked him up. Carried him to the car, on the way to the car he slaps me across the face... I hold it together, tell him there WILL be consequences for not keeping his hands to himself. Put him in the car, cant get him into car seat. He is pulling my hair... I just leave him in the back seat and drive the 5 miles to my ped's office.

I carry him into the office and there is this woman with her daughter who is looking at my and my son like he is an ANIMAL... he's flailing.. he is acting up SCREAMING... "I'm NOT going.."
I ask for a room... (since I am carrying a 45 lb boy, you'd THINK someone would open the door for me?! NOPE) I mention again that I cant open the door and "the woman" opens it... as she closes the door she says to her daughter... "YOU are soooo good, not like THAT little boy." All I think is F U!

In the office I find out he has 103.5 fever... and give him tylenol to break fever.. (I have the stand off in the room... until YOU open and take this WE are NOT leaving. We can do this the HARD way or the easy way.. OPEN. and He did... )

I get lecture from Dr about how I need to be FIRM with Sam... (What the F?!) She is like "Don't hit me.." to him then "see mom, he isn't hitting me".... like ALL I need to do is that????.. WOW... why didn't I think of telling him NOT to do something... again, F U! right????

I LOST it crying on the way home...
After the melt down and Sam comes back (you know how when it is all over and they are fine and have no recollection of their losing it... )
Sam says.. "why did that lady insult me?"...and I tell him that his behavior when he is out of control is terrible"... and not everyone understands "out of control" cause not every one has a child that gets out of control... I went on to say that hitting me, kicking me and pulling my hair are unacceptable behaviors.

I so wanted to tell that women he is on the spectrum, but Sam doesnt know.... he's 6. I dont think he will understand.

I didn't know WHAT to say...  all I know is that in 6 minutes, Im having a glass of wine tonight... and GETTING A NEW PEDIATRICIAN!!

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs I'm sorry.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Beauty91805
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Wow, sorry you had a rough day :-/
Jillysmom
by Adele on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

((Hugs)), Wish we were closer I would bring the bottle

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM
2 moms liked this

The mother needs an education, and the pediatrician needs to GO..... 

Personally, I would give her a piece of my MIND..... 

I can't even begin to describe the visits I have had JUST LIKE THAT 

cholita1978
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Enjoy you glass of wine mama, because Im enjoying mine right now :-)
powow65
by Kim on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM
((big hugs))
Scarlett........ If you have to cry, we're here for you Hun. I am very sorry to hear that.
I am sorry that some parents are "ignorant" at times & can't stfu & I am very very sorry that the DR was being a total D**k to you kid & to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:13 PM
I hope you enjoyed your wine. You deserved it.
Im sorry that other parent was such a bitch, any kid can have a melt down, and with all the awareness about autism you would really think people would think before they judge.
Youre a better person than I am. I would've told her off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Quoting Cecelia712:

Im sorry that other parent was such a bitch, any kid can have a melt down, and with all the awareness about autism you would really think people would think before they judge.

I see stats 1 in 86 or 150 or whatever the trigger # of the week is...... but I never really see awareness. I hear the phrase all the time "oh my _____ is autisitc" but they are apparently never around that child or they would truely know that is is as unpredictible as a rabid dog (or a hurricane)..... 

Wife to John; Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex;
Full time Aunt to Carly-Ann.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Now see, I hear about the awareness campaign all the time. Its on every bumper sticker, ellen has had it, rosie, other talk shows. The kid who made the buttons that said I'm not bad I'm autisitc because of his brother. But I live in a much more city like area than you so maybe that's why?
But regardless, people will always be nasty because they simply don't know bwtter. Many people don't even believe atism exsists, just that its from lazy/bad parenting and bad kids. So even knowing about it not all people will accept that as the reason.
My kids don't have it and nicholas still acts that way going into the dr and he's 12. He hates the dr and shots. He's so bad one of the nurses refuses to see us when we are there for him.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Cecelia712:

I see stats 1 in 86 or 150 or whatever the trigger # of the week is...... but I never really see awareness. I hear the phrase all the time "oh my _____ is autisitc" but they are apparently never around that child or they would truely know that is is as unpredictible as a rabid dog (or a hurricane)..... 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Last time we were there they took 3 vials of blood for the endocrinologist tests... AND your talking about a kid who doesnt forget... Lol put those together.. Trouble.
The autism awareness s is what it is, my kid doesnt wear a sticker that says "autistic"... Lol
Its the doctors office im really livid with. Its all over his chart and still they treated us poorly.

Quoting Cecelia712:

Now see, I hear about the awareness campaign all the time. Its on every bumper sticker, ellen has had it, rosie, other talk shows. The kid who made the buttons that said I'm not bad I'm autisitc because of his brother. But I live in a much more city like area than you so maybe that's why?

But regardless, people will always be nasty because they simply don't know bwtter. Many people don't even believe atism exsists, just that its from lazy/bad parenting and bad kids. So even knowing about it not all people will accept that as the reason.

My kids don't have it and nicholas still acts that way going into the dr and he's 12. He hates the dr and shots. He's so bad one of the nurses refuses to see us when we are there for him.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Cecelia712:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)