Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the best way to

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:55 AM
  • 13 Replies
Disinfect baby toys after a virus?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I throw some stuff in a ziplock bag and put it outside on patio for 5 hours. Germs dont survive cold temps for long and i feel like that kills them. I just did this with some stuffed animals he likes in his bed that cant be washed on Sunday as my son just got over a little bug. 

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:28 AM

bleach and water. fill the sink up with hot water add bleach.  if they're soft toys put them in the washer. 

Emschick38
by Ali on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM
I use vinegar and water. Either soak them in the tub or wash them in the sink. I have used clorox anywhere spray before but i like vinegar better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethy16
by Beth on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Actually the flu virus does survive the cold. You need hot for the flu virus. I found out then hard way lol

Quoting SamMom912:

I throw some stuff in a ziplock bag and put it outside on patio for 5 hours. Germs dont survive cold temps for long and i feel like that kills them. I just did this with some stuffed animals he likes in his bed that cant be washed on Sunday as my son just got over a little bug. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethy16
by Beth on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Depends on what it is. Soft toys go into the washer. I wipe down with the clorox wipes the big things that don't go into her mouth. Anything else just some good old soap and water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaylabella
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Thanx ladies :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM

We didnt have flu... So im ok, but thanks for clarifying that for other posters,,, i would have hated to steer someone wrong. 

Quoting Bethy16:

Actually the flu virus does survive the cold. You need hot for the flu virus. I found out then hard way lol

Quoting SamMom912:

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I would toss what I could in the top rack of my dishwasher; wash fabric toys in my washing machine. 

If they had batteries or electronics I wiped them down with a disinfecting wipe...

Really I only washed toys if they came up from the basement (storage) or had been directly vomited on.

Bethy16
by Beth on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I just learned it from my kids Dr after I opened up the house to air it out. Lol I turned off the heat and left for a few hours and froze the house. She told me with the flu virus it loves the cold. Hence it ripping its way through my entire household lol

Quoting SamMom912:

We didnt have flu... So im ok, but thanks for clarifying that for other posters,,, i would have hated to steer someone wrong. 

Quoting Bethy16:

Quoting SamMom912:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Throw them out and buy new ones?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)