Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Long road trip and then flight home with 4yo

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 11 Replies

My daughter and I are traveling to North Carolina at the endof the month. We're taking the 13 hour car ride with my grandmother and then take a flight back home. 

Any recommendations on what I should get for the car ride? Decent travel pillow so her head doesn't loll around in the car when she falls asleep?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jennifair
by Jen on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Personal DVD player and movies. Hand held video game ( leapster or v-tech) EXTRA BATTERIES! Color wonder books and markers( mess free) pillow and a favorite stuffed animal ( hopefully she'll sleep well in the car) and snacks! 

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I agree with jennifair on all accounts.
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

We have traveled annually to FL from NY... the first year the kids were 11, 7, 4... then the second year the baby was 6 months old, and we still go.

-Power inverter: plugs into a cig. lighter and then you can use real plugs. I use it to charge recharable batteries, camera, video game systems and to flat out plug things into.

-Portable DVD player (with headphones)

-handheld game system

-color wonder

-I don't suggest any type of pillow, as they can often cause more harm than good

-favorite blankie and/or stuffed animal

-lots of snacks, a spill proof water bottle (my two little ones have a Nalgene, looks more like a "big kid" water bottle, but has a spill proof valve)

-a ball of any type.... stop frequently, and plan 15 to 20 min not counting potty time. have her run around. We will do impromtu touch football, and at one rest stop had 10 kids playing. 

-if you end up on US15 South in Maryland, the first rest area should have a playground, and you pass Cunningham Falls State Park

-benadryl... just in case the ride gets to be too much. Talk to your pediatrician first. I know it does knock my kids out, I think over the 7 yrs I have used it once. Then it was actually for Alex's ears due to an infection and the mountains of PA coming home

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Weve been driving to bald head for years with my guy who is now 6. Not sure if g'ma would hack it, but we like to leave at 2:am. When our guy will sleep til 7am breakfast a cracker barrell. Just over the border in virginia.

We find the trip is much easier if my guy sleeps for 1/2 the trip, otherwise, when we get where we are going, we are exhausted and he is refreshed and wide awake. So we split the drive and 1 sleeps with ds, the other drives. , and Heads up, you do not want to be in the washington dc area for either of the 2 rush hours, it gets BAD, 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Also, borrow dvds from library! That way your dd has new stuff to watch, but yournot stuck buying. 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

Also, borrow dvds from library! That way your dd has new stuff to watch, but yournot stuck buying. 

Redbox is good too! We stop and grab as we drive....lol

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

Weve been driving to bald head for years with my guy who is now 6. Not sure if g'ma would hack it, but we like to leave at 2:am. When our guy will sleep til 7am breakfast a cracker barrell. Just over the border in virginia.

We find the trip is much easier if my guy sleeps for 1/2 the trip, otherwise, when we get where we are going, we are exhausted and he is refreshed and wide awake. So we split the drive and 1 sleeps with ds, the other drives. , and Heads up, you do not want to be in the washington dc area for either of the 2 rush hours, it gets BAD, 

We have done it a few years, leaving one year at at 8:30 after having teh kids change into PJ's after Church.... and then 2 yrs leaving at 3pm. They are the years we didn't do a hotel on the way to my Aunt's

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Quoting Jennifair:

Personal DVD player and movies. Hand held video game ( leapster or v-tech) EXTRA BATTERIES! Color wonder books and markers( mess free) pillow and a favorite stuffed animal ( hopefully she'll sleep well in the car) and snacks! 

This!

alex_vittoria
by New Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Thanks everyone! Any one one know of a decent seatbelt pillow? 

Jillysmom
Can someone tell me how to change my kids picture,please
Yesterday at 2:40 PM
by Adele on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM
how old is your daughter
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)