Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

memberships

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 11 Replies

So I know in June I have to renew my Zoo. Especially since Alex just announced that he wants to go to Buffalo and see the Rhino and Hippo. 

We want to go to The Strong Nat. Museum of Play during break (lego exhibit). $91 for us to get in for teh day; or $109 for a membership..... get the memebership and then have the % that is allowed as a write off?

Then John wants to take teh kids to the MOST here in Syracuse. That one is $53 for us to get into (without Philip) and a membership is $79.

Decisions, but it keeps the kids busy for a full year. Most of the places change up things a little but (I know Strong has a travel display that changes 4 times a year). Not sure on the MOST, but it can't hurt and it's so close. 

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM
What do the memberships give you? Is it a 1 time charge then free or very reduced rest of the yr? Because membersips aren't much more expesive than the 1 time cost to get in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lish2127
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I have been contemplating renewing the zoo membership but probably will. We went twice within a month to the strong thanks to free tickets from dh's coworkers for the star wars thing and at that point...I felt we didn't need to go back again for a long time...I guess if you plan on going at least twice it will pay off
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Quoting Cecelia712:

What do the memberships give you? Is it a 1 time charge then free or very reduced rest of the yr? Because membersips aren't much more expesive than the 1 time cost to get in.

all of them are free memberships for a year. 

The MOST we can get discounts on the Imax theater ($3 per ticket OR for $20 per person we can see as many Imax movies as we want in a year); a discount if we do a Birthday party there; free planetarium (which is usually $2 more per person). 

The Zoo is free admission to our zoo and then 1/2 price to AZA accredited (sp) zoo's (Rochester, Buffalo, Binghamton; and the ones in FL by my Aunt's). Some zoo's will do 50% of everyone, others have a limit of 2 adults, 2 children. 

The Strong National Museum of Play, is admission, with $1 off admission to the butterfly garden (which my kids are NOT interested in).

All of them offer a % of in their Gift shop; our zoo has a couple of member only events; and then for all of them a % if not the full membership amount is a tax write off. 

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Quoting lish2127:

I have been contemplating renewing the zoo membership but probably will. We went twice within a month to the strong thanks to free tickets from dh's coworkers for the star wars thing and at that point...I felt we didn't need to go back again for a long time...I guess if you plan on going at least twice it will pay off

Where the lego thing is changes every 4 months... we had a membership in 2008 and went in Feb for Grossology; August for Clifford, and I don't remember what it was in Feb 09.

elwalters77
by Erica on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I'm sure you'll more than get your money's worth.

robynjavan7104
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:52 AM
I would get the memberships especially if you know your going back more than once. I have a zoo membership which is great because it gets us into all 4 zoos and the aquarium with all paying exibits free. I pay $140 for the year. I also have the transit museum membership because my son loves trains (Omg, I'm so sick of that museum). I also have the staten island children's museum membership but I won that at my sons spring festival last year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
powow65
by Kim on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:01 AM
IMO, will you go a lot of times when you get the membership?

I knew a few people who got "MOST member ship" but....... Only went once & they're kids "were not the nicest" when they went.
Idk! But GL! (ps, I'd love to see other zoo's too. We'll see what Jeff say's about that.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovegrandbaby
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I have to renew my zoo membership.  I have it for my grandkids - they love the zoo, and I like to go alone just for the exercise and a little sanity day for me

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Quoting powow65:

I knew a few people who got "MOST member ship" but....... Only went once & they're kids "were not the nicest" when they went.
Idk! But GL! (ps, I'd love to see other zoo's too. We'll see what Jeff say's about that.)

in most cases,

i can go back by myself and make a couple of $ off the deal. 

our family is so big; and most of the kids are "adult" for admission that it adds up fast. 

the strong in Rochester, is $13 per person ages 2 and up.

powow65
by Kim on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:01 AM
2 is still a baby!
Yes, we'll let the "adults" aka 2year olds drink & smoke. Wtf?!
2year olds still some times wears diapers still! Why $13?!

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting powow65:

in most cases,

i can go back by myself and make a couple of $ off the deal. 

our family is so big; and most of the kids are "adult" for admission that it adds up fast. 

the strong in Rochester, is $13 per person ages 2 and up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN