Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Used undies

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM
  • 22 Replies

Do you take hand me downs? 

Are you offended by hand me down undies that are 100 percent clean? 

I ask cause i recently cleaned out Sams drawers. Passed along clothing etc to a gf who has 2.5 year old. I literally had 40 pair of undies that i had bought for sam with super heros/ pixar characters/ etc. super cute! 

Sam potty trained himself. He decided at 3 that he wasn't wearing diapers and only had 3 (maybe?) pee accidents. And those were not even his fault. 

My friend was semi offended that i put them in. Saying she can afford undies when shes going to potty train. I know she can, but, sometimes, you just want to not spend, or just throw out if kid has accident that you dont want to deal with... Kwim? 

Your thoughts? 

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Would I have been offended? No.

Would I have used them? I don't know. Knowing me I probably would have just donated them.

I get weirded out at the thought of used underwear and shoes.

robynjavan7104
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM
I wouldn't have been offended but I probably wouldn't have used them. I would've just said thank you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Would I have been ofended? NO

Would I have used them? depends! I have one GF who did pass boys character underware to CJ. She didn't realize her son had grown and needed the next size. 

Toddler size underware, throw it in the washer with some bleach..... I know one of my boys was horrible to train I threw away underware right and left.

I have no idea what I am going to do with Carly's undereware. She has some size 6's that she has never worn. I bought her like 3 packages of 9 pairs each. Pretty stupid as I do laundry daily, and even if they were all stark white to go in the whites I still do one load a week which would at most be 7 pairs.

lish2127
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this

We've had a post on this in the past. A couple years ago at our garage sale I had about 8-10 pairs of size 2T/3T boys underwear for sale (25 cents). Half of them were brand new never even washed, while the others were worn maybe once or twice and washed. They were the first items in the whole garage sale to sell! Two ladies were practically fighting over them. 

We have gotten hand me downs for DS and I even bought some new looking ones at a garage sale. I wouldn't be offended. I just washed them in bleach and we were good to go. I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase used underwear, but if they looked good I might.

Jillysmom
by Adele on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM
I would have just said thank you. I was wondering about donating Jillians training bras and one she out grew, they aren't cheap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Quoting lish2127:

We've had a post on this in the past. A couple years ago at our garage sale I had about 8-10 pairs of size 2T/3T boys underwear for sale (25 cents). Half of them were brand new never even washed, while the others were worn maybe once or twice and washed. They were the first items in the whole garage sale to sell! Two ladies were practically fighting over them. 

We have gotten hand me downs for DS and I even bought some new looking ones at a garage sale. I wouldn't be offended. I just washed them in bleach and we were good to go. I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase used underwear, but if they looked good I might.

when johnny was being trained I bought underware as cheap as I could. garage sales if they weren't stained was good. then bleached them. 

as it is, I threw away 1 pair a day until we found out he had lactose issues. 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM

people go out of their way to get cloth diapers, used, 

but skeeve out at used underware.

someone tell me the difference?

Bethy16
by Beth on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Offended no. New or semi new maybe. I have had friends throw disgusting stained undies on the hand me down bag. Yeah that was gross. But I have had friends ask me and tell me they have been worn a few times. I personally don't hand it down. But I always keep extras here in case a friend has an accident
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

While I can see potentially not using them (though it wouldn't bother me at all....that's what bleach and/or detergent are for...) I can't see any reason to be offended.  What an odd reaction!  I am blessed to get a lot of hand me downs and if there is something I don't want like if it's very stained or something, I just toss it.  My manners and common sense prevent me from being "offended" by something that was just given to me free of cost. 

Numom61507
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM

One is going commando is your own fatigues. The others belonged to someone else. 

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

people go out of their way to get cloth diapers, used, 

but skeeve out at used underware.

someone tell me the difference?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN