Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

School Schedule Changes..

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM
  • 25 Replies

How many calls or notifications do you usually get when there is a change in the school calendar? 

Example: Due to the storm on LI and schools being closed for 2 days, they reduced our upcoming 4-day weekend to a 3-day weekend (they now go back Tuesday instead of Wednesday). They also took away the Monday from Easter break at the end of March.

Here's how they notified us: Two phone calls AND a notice home yesterday AS WELL AS an email blast about classes being in session Tuesday along with a FB post. All the same stuff today about Monday of easter break. 

Excessive or necessary? What does your district do? I'm just curious.

New York Girl Pictures

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Notices are overkill just like ur district.
I hate snowdays or delay notices.
My house phone rings at 5:20, my email dings on my phone and i pad, then my cell rings, and hubbys too.
Really, 3 different devices at 5:20!!!?
Yesterday for our delay if 1 hour, ds was up at 5:22. Grrrrr
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bethy16
by Beth on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:08 AM
In our district while I feel it is overkill (very similar, email,text,call,fb) even with all of that when we had a early dismissal there was a kid who sat at his front door crying for hours until someone got home for him because for some reason they got "none" of the messages!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jillysmom
by Adele on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

it really depends on how you set up your notifications with the school in most cases. Here we can decide how to be notified. I would rather be told 5 times then miss it. Thankfully as of now we still have both full weeks off.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM

We lost today but I think we just learned about it in an email. They may send out a reminder, too.

I think our district does a pretty good job with notifications. There doesn't seem to be the overkill that you're experiencing.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Our district is over kill too. They have to, that way that one mother doesn't say "I didn't know."

We haven't closed yet this year for weather. So at 5:30 am when our delay was announced that was my home phone only. 

When we cancel after school/evening that goes to my cell, my home, my DH's cell and my brother's cell. This way we all know no matter where we are.

If they change something on our calendar we get a 1/2 page letter with each child (elementary, nothing for my bigger kids) and then a recoded message from either the district or school principal.

I mean the day before school started I got 4 calls: one from the Super's office and one from each school. If they hadn't been recordings I would have told them a Mom of 5 doesn't need a phone call to remidn her.

lish2127
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM

our school closed early last friday and in addition to the email, auto phone call, text message, news channel text message, facebook updates, and all the same to DH's phone, we also got a real phone call from DS's school from the secretary to let everyone know we were closing early...and they also called my mom's house because they didn't get me or dh on our phones. They even wanted us to call back to confirm we got the message.

Bethy16
by Beth on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Adele is that because it is a charter school? I know we had two full weeks off so we lost all of our half days, the day before Thanksgiving, all of Feb break except Monday, the last day of spring break and the day before memorial day.

Quoting Jillysmom:

it really depends on how you set up your notifications with the school in most cases. Here we can decide how to be notified. I would rather be told 5 times then miss it. Thankfully as of now we still have both full weeks off.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jillysmom
by Adele on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM

No Beth she hasn't been in the charter school since 6th grade, they only lost conference day they rest they had work in, we do lost no the mon after easter but not the weeks. but if we miss one more,lol

Quoting Bethy16:

Adele is that because it is a charter school? I know we had two full weeks off so we lost all of our half days, the day before Thanksgiving, all of Feb break except Monday, the last day of spring break and the day before memorial day.

Quoting Jillysmom:

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Overkill. Phone calls, emails, notices sent home and mailed home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ScentsyLady2013
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I am not happy at all that my kids lost their vacation next week!!!  They are not happy either :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN