Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Per Hour or Per Kid

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM
  • 31 Replies

A GF and I and hubbys are going out to dinner this weekend.
We have hired a sitter that we have both used in the past so the kids are happy.
She has 2 kids... 7 and 9. I have 1 kid... 6.
I pay this sitter 10 an hour for my one difficult kid.
She pays this sitter 10 an hour for her two easy kids. 

Is it an hourly rate---it doesnt matter how many kids.
Or should we give her more cause it is 3 kids together?
I was thinking 15, but friend seems to think it is an "hourly" rate...and at the most thinks we should give sitter 12... (which seems silly to me... 12? I like round easy to deal with numbers.... )

I usually order in pizza for Sam and the sitter, so I will for all the kids and sitter as well... so dinner is "on the house too.". LOL

Sitter is 19 years old, college student  who lives at home with her mom locally working on teaching degree.

little devilboy n girl

by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Hum. I think Garrett was told in the baby sitter course a $ amount, and $2 more for each child after the first.

$12 an hr seems reasonable since you provide dinner ( and she doesn't need to cook), you can always "tip" her.

Or ask her how much she wants per hr for the thre
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM
She is really shy and dorkey...sweet, soft spoken.. I love her, but shed just say- pay me whatever.... I know it! Lol

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Hum. I think Garrett was told in the baby sitter course a $ amount, and $2 more for each child after the first.

$12 an hr seems reasonable since you provide dinner ( and she doesn't need to cook), you can always "tip" her.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I did the same thing, so I understand... lol

Quoting SamMom912:

She is really shy and dorkey...sweet, soft spoken.. I love her, but shed just say- pay me whatever.... I know it! Lol

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

$15/hour sounds right to me.

grammarpolice
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Both of you should pay her the same amount you usually do. Come on, how much is it going to be, $50 each at the most? IF you are gone five hours, which I doubt for dinner?

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Feb. 21, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Yep shes still watching the kids she normally watches but together.

Quoting grammarpolice:

Both of you should pay her the same amount you usually do. Come on, how much is it going to be, $50 each at the most? IF you are gone five hours, which I doubt for dinner?

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I think 20 an hour is excessive.

I pay her 10 cause she has to play with my son or deal with his meltdowns.... Since his friend will be there, the boys will play the Wii and she wont have to play and Sam and his friend get along GREAT- so there is rarely if ever an issue.

Mostly, she watches Sam play and reads a book or does her homework.
We are going down county for nice dressy dinner... so, Im thinking 4 hours we will be gone. And quite honestly, I think $80 for 4 hours is too much.
(let me also add, she doesnt even put the dishes into the dishwasher.... LOL)
Im agreeing with Liz... 15... and I feel 60 is fair. 5:30-9:30... kids wont even have to be put to bed.

Quoting grammarpolice:

Jillysmom
by Adele on Feb. 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I would go with $15 also

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Does she travel?? Our sitter charges $20 an hour! For 3 kids, yes, but my oldest is 12 and so nothing involved w him, and and the babies are both asleep as we don't go out till 8, 830. So basically she gets paid about $75 to sit in our playroom and watch tv all night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM
No. She lives a few blocks away. No travel involved. 3 minute drive. :)

Quoting Cecelia712:

Does she travel?? Our sitter charges $20 an hour! For 3 kids, yes, but my oldest is 12 and so nothing involved w him, and and the babies are both asleep as we don't go out till 8, 830. So basically she gets paid about $75 to sit in our playroom and watch tv all night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)