Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

if I get a nasty gram/phone call/email that

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM
  • 16 Replies

his lunch is "inadequate" for the field trip, I will go off...... just saying. 

Yup, Johnny has another theater trip with the High School, and because of lunches they want them to eat on teh buses... adn NO nuts, NO nut containing products yada yada...... 

I get why, I have food allergies also.

Did I mention that we are talking High School Seniors?

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe next time suggest there be a nut free bus... (ohhh, but where would the nutty people sit?????)

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

Maybe next time suggest there be a nut free bus... (ohhh, but where would the nutty people sit?????)

That is John's thought. That seeing how our district has several Suburban buses, why not put the 5 kids on a Suburban, and leave the other 500 to have their lunches. 

I mean it's not just Johnny's PB&J, but 90% of all granola bars, etc.... 

New York Moms

Kimmiky
by Kimmiky on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM
I agree, it is hard to find stuff that is nut free. It makes.me feel bad for the people with the allergies but at the same time it doesn't seem fair to inconvenience everyone else

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting SamMom912:

That is John's thought. That seeing how our district has several Suburban buses, why not put the 5 kids on a Suburban, and leave the other 500 to have their lunches. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM

last year he took: a zippy bag of baby carrots; a handful of saltines; and a bottle of water. 

I got a call letting me know that if lunch was an issue they could have brown bagged him one from the cafeteria (the kids get reduced lunches). 

What would you have packed him? He doesn't eat skin on fruit (apples have to be peeled, and he does this himself); doesn't eat lunch meat (slimey); doesn't eat mayo (or tuna or eggs) so there goes taht. 

If it was served hot, he needs to eat it hot, can't be lukewarm... and they don't have a microwave that he would have access to. 

I am sure he is planning on taking carrots, and a friut cup (provided I have the *right* flavor. 

Then he'll throw a PB&J in his locker to eat when he gets to school (his last period teacher will let him).

Quoting Kimmiky:

I agree, it is hard to find stuff that is nut free. It makes.me feel bad for the people with the allergies but at the same time it doesn't seem fair to inconvenience everyone else

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting SamMom912:

New York Moms

Kimmiky
by Kimmiky on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Ugh I've been looking into homeschooling and crape like this just makes it sound more and more appealing.
My daughter gets free.lunches too and only like twice a month will she buy cause they serve such crap and she is fussy too. And I've been spending a fortune on her packed.lunches cause she doesn't have a lot of time to eat and wont eat certain things like the basic.Lbj. . . Ahhhh if only I could homeschool

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

last year he took: a zippy bag of baby carrots; a handful of saltines; and a bottle of water. 

I got a call letting me know that if lunch was an issue they could have brown bagged him one from the cafeteria (the kids get reduced lunches). 

What would you have packed him? He doesn't eat skin on fruit (apples have to be peeled, and he does this himself); doesn't eat lunch meat (slimey); doesn't eat mayo (or tuna or eggs) so there goes taht. 

If it was served hot, he needs to eat it hot, can't be lukewarm... and they don't have a microwave that he would have access to. 

I am sure he is planning on taking carrots, and a friut cup (provided I have the *right* flavor. 

Then he'll throw a PB&J in his locker to eat when he gets to school (his last period teacher will let him).

Quoting Kimmiky:

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting SamMom912:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM

he will eat everything the school serves; and if it is something he jsut won't do (fish) he gets teh alternative. 

Which in elementary was sandwich; at the upper levels: Salad, leftover, sandwich, pizza...... he has not packed a lunch since 2nd grade.

Quoting Kimmiky:

Ugh I've been looking into homeschooling and crape like this just makes it sound more and more appealing.
My daughter gets free.lunches too and only like twice a month will she buy cause they serve such crap and she is fussy too. And I've been spending a fortune on her packed.lunches cause she doesn't have a lot of time to eat and wont eat certain things like the basic.Lbj. . . Ahhhh if only I could homeschool

Jillysmom
by Adele on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Thanks for the reminder, Jillian has her's coming up and was planning a PB & J as its one of the only things she will eat. I will have to call the school. Maybe a bagel

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:38 PM

ours is the district policy for High School field trips because they have the kids eat on the buses. complete PITA. 

Quoting Jillysmom:

Thanks for the reminder, Jillian has her's coming up and was planning a PB & J as its one of the only things she will eat. I will have to call the school. Maybe a bagel

Kmary
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:52 PM

OMG this is like the 3rd post I've read on here in 5 minutes about a school not thinking a lunch is adequate.  When I was teaching, I paid no attention to what they were eating.  Who cares?  And teenagers can have weird eating habits.  Nutrition guidelines weren't in my teacher contract.  I mean, I get the food allergy thing, but saying a lunch is inadequate?  What the hell?  If the kid isn't starving, who cares? 

polkaspots
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:59 PM
My mom stopped packing my lunch when I started the sixth grade. That seems so strange.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN