Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

so the Johnny/MIL blurt (update)

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM
  • 12 Replies

apparently my SIL had been talking about a Graduation trip with Johnny. I don't really know or remember, my SIL promised a LOT of stuff to that boy. 

anyway, my SIL passed away in Oct. 2008, so no graduation trip.

my MIL comes to me before Christmas. she is going to take Johnny on this trip, he gets to pick where. he gets to bring a friend. and he needs his license by then to do the driving or Uncle Steve will have to go (my SIL's widower).

Of course she gives him 2 suggestions: Gettysberg or Nashville (he loves music). 

I don't think a decision has been made. I know he doesn't want to go as he's told John and I that. 

He won't tell my MIL, "it's difficult for me." Well you need to!

As the regulars know my MIL's health, well sucks. You ladies just know about the hospitalizations. Her daily health SUCKS. 

We all (John, I, Steve) envision Johnny being stuck in a hotel somehwere because she's too sick to go farther. Then a day or two later, movign along. 

As a result of this, she told me that the kids won't be getting any spending $ for our regular vacation. Um, okay. However, the $20 to $25 she gives them is usually their Easter gift from Grandma. 

None of the kids Johnny knows can go; they are all working summer jobs, before the take off in August for school. 

Johnny needs a summer job (as he has been spending his savings right and left, well not that bad). 

She has told me that he needs to make a decision or it won't happen. I mentioned that I think Johnny might not want to, because of Aunt Marilyn. That it had been there plan. Of course I don't know what I am talkign about.

She ticks me off because she bounces between Johnny being the smartest person alive and the dumbest all at the same time. 

So Johnny talked to my MIL today. She had thankfully picked up on his reluctance to select a desitnation. So she was good, when he said it wouldn't be the same without Aunt Marilyn. 

Apparently, she is going to give us $ to spend a day in Rochester as a family (we will see). Then she's talking about gviing him $ towards a laptop etc, for school, this in my opinion is an even bigger "we will see." As her insurance etc are changing with her pension now and she has to pay what the rest of the world has to pay Rx-s

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Ugh. She's a piece of work.

Johnny needs to speak up and tell her he doesn't want to go.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM
I agree with Liz.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Could you give JOhnny the out and tell MIL that he "HAS" been spending his money and will need to work. Since you dont have work schedule, that means you dont know when he can or cant go. So, she should plan a different graduation plan.
If she "gets off" on being sick and frail... tell her that your worried her health wont hold up and you'd be worried about her being so far away from you guys. :P
Or perhaps Johnny REALLY wants a car so instead of trip money, a donation to a car would be more practical then a trip.

I think when it comes to MIL's and grandchildren, our kids need a BIT of help dealing.. bridging the gap between generations. When I was graduating from HS my dad's mom wanted to buy me a nice watch. She had bought me a nice watch when I turned 16... at 17 did I REALLY need a new one. She wanted to make a day out of meeting in the city, having lunch and picking out ANOTHER nice watch... I couldnt tell her no... so I asked my dad to intervene. I wanted the day in the city with her... but ANOTHER watch... wtf? I honestly didnt even want the "nice" one I got at the time... watch=lame! LOL
So my dad broke the news to her nicely.... and we had lunch and saw a play. MUCH BETTER.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Both John and I have tried to mention that it's not a good idea, as has Steve (the BIL). She won't budge until she hears it from Johnny. 

More than a car, Johnny needs a laptop! We are on the bus route for Harvard on the Hill (the nick name for our local Community College); and the days he needs full turn out gear we are close enough to drive him. 

Quoting SamMom912:

Could you give JOhnny the out and tell MIL that he "HAS" been spending his money and will need to work. Since you dont have work schedule, that means you dont know when he can or cant go. So, she should plan a different graduation plan.
If she "gets off" on being sick and frail... tell her that your worried her health wont hold up and you'd be worried about her being so far away from you guys. :P
Or perhaps Johnny REALLY wants a car so instead of trip money, a donation to a car would be more practical then a trip.

I think when it comes to MIL's and grandchildren, our kids need a BIT of help dealing.. bridging the gap between generations. When I was graduating from HS my dad's mom wanted to buy me a nice watch. She had bought me a nice watch when I turned 16... at 17 did I REALLY need a new one. She wanted to make a day out of meeting in the city, having lunch and picking out ANOTHER nice watch... I couldnt tell her no... so I asked my dad to intervene. I wanted the day in the city with her... but ANOTHER watch... wtf? I honestly didnt even want the "nice" one I got at the time... watch=lame! LOL
So my dad broke the news to her nicely.... and we had lunch and saw a play. MUCH BETTER.

Jillysmom
by Adele on Feb. 26, 2013 at 6:40 PM

When then sadly Johnny will need to spend up. Will she accept an Email as it might be easier.

Jennifair
by Jen on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I'd have Johnny tell gram he'd rather have a lap top then a trip. 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Quoting Jillysmom:

When then sadly Johnny will need to spend up. Will she accept an Email as it might be easier.

Her brillant BIL (John's Uncle Mark) put her computer upstairs, and she can't get to it. 

Jillysmom
by Adele on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Jillysmom:

Her brillant BIL (John's Uncle Mark) put her computer upstairs, and she can't get to it. 

so helpful

elwalters77
by Erica on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Ugh. She's a piece of work.

Johnny needs to speak up and tell her he doesn't want to go.

I agree

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:40 PM
The work thing is a great "out" for him. Just have him tell her he has to work as he needs the money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN