Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Is it too much to ask for eta I asked

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 9 Replies
Got Xavier's paperwork back from early intervention. They suggested I take pictures of one of his cups, favorite food, toy and having it in a set place so he point to what he wants/ needs. To also make a photo book with different objects and look at it with him, talk about it, ask questions etc. I don't have an issue with doing that with him, but they suggest doing this 10-20 times a day. Do you think it's too much to ask of the daycare to do it a few times on the days he is there longer.

I asked about it when I went to pick the kids up. Not a problem bring the book in and the pictures.She has been trying to get a special set of tools to use with kids like Xavier but didn't have the justification to buy it. The daycare is owned by the college. Most of the people who work there are in education classes at the college.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I think you can ask if the day care is willing and push how important EI made it sound... See if they will do it. IMO it never hurts to ask. It will help his language skills and eventually, when he becomes verbal it will help everyone. Daycare, you... Everyone with a vested interest. Hugs! 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I would talk to the director and ask her. 

THinking back to teh 10 to 18 month olds I had at LAYG, I wouldn't have been able to do it. 

With the 18 to 24 month olds I had at SSCC I might have been able to do it once a day, especially if the child was an early riser from nap. 

Edit: I would have at least tried. I can't think how it would have worked with the younger group I had (man, they should all be graduating this year). 

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Feb. 26, 2013 at 1:01 PM
When Xavier isn't napping either the Director or the lady he likes is his personal buddy. After the IFSP meeting the center will be able to hire another person and the lady he likes will become his aid. I just feel like I'm asking for a lot and they have been great about everything so far.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I would talk to the director and ask her. 

THinking back to teh 10 to 18 month olds I had at LAYG, I wouldn't have been able to do it. 

With the 18 to 24 month olds I had at SSCC I might have been able to do it once a day, especially if the child was an early riser from nap. 

Edit: I would have at least tried. I can't think how it would have worked with the younger group I had (man, they should all be graduating this year). 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elwalters77
by Erica on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I'm glad you asked. :)

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM

YAY! I'm glad they are going to work with Xavier and his book! That's awesome.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Glad they're willing to help! And those were great suggestions. I may try the book with g. Not the cup and plate part as he can tell me he's hungry now, but he does have a difficult time answering questions about any given topic, so thanks for the idea.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I'm glad they were open to the suggestion!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Picture books are also great for kids when they are going someplace new. 

Another cute thing is to tell a "social story". You can make up a story the night before anout a boy named x or g... Who is going to -----, and he is going to see this, and going to see that, and this will be fun. It helps to answer any questions they may have but cant verbalize. It lets them know how they are going to need to behave.. ( if there is  line in the story you can say that x waited patiently even though it was hard) it lets them know what to expect, and seeing the pictures eases anxiety about what do do and where your going. 

Quoting Cecelia712:

Glad they're willing to help! And those were great suggestions. I may try the book with g. Not the cup and plate part as he can tell me he's hungry now, but he does have a difficult time answering questions about any given topic, so thanks for the idea.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Thanks for even more great suggestions. I will definitely try these!

Quoting SamMom912:

Picture books are also great for kids when they are going someplace new. 

Another cute thing is to tell a "social story". You can make up a story the night before anout a boy named x or g... Who is going to -----, and he is going to see this, and going to see that, and this will be fun. It helps to answer any questions they may have but cant verbalize. It lets them know how they are going to need to behave.. ( if there is  line in the story you can say that x waited patiently even though it was hard) it lets them know what to expect, and seeing the pictures eases anxiety about what do do and where your going. 

Quoting Cecelia712:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN