Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

So.... kids, school, and unaware parents (update)

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM
  • 16 Replies

A few weeks ago I get a text message from a classmate of Carly's Mom. "We have fun in first grade with little bugs."

Ok, headlice are going around. Oh, I don't have Carly. So I call Mom and let her know.

I check Carly's hair often. I don't have credit cards to use. So $30 for special shampoo, extra flea spray (same ingredient as the RID, but cheaper and bigger) for teh rugs, beds etc.... followed by a $50 to $60 at the laundry mat to get all the bedding washed in one blow..... SCREWS up my BUDGET royally.

A Mom calls me about PTA stuff this morning. She then beats around the bush and finally asks if I know of any problems with little bug in the 1st grade room. Why yes, I got a text message a couple of weeks ago. 

This woman has been BATTLING them since JANURAY... and DIDN'T let any of the other parents know. 

Our school doesn't send home warning letters. 

I am PISSED because this mother has been battling them for what 6 to 8 weeks and hasn't said a word. Where 3 weeks go the other Mom WHO LET PEOPLE KNOW has bene tryign to figure out where her daughter got tehm from. 

Yes, it is a note that no one wants to read..... but it needs to be told! You can't "hide" because you think other parents will flip out. Heck I am flipping out because NOTHING was said until child #2 (or possibly more)...... 

3rd child now affected. father came into teh FH witching Friday night. Of  course he was blaming child #2 (the mother who spoke up) so John put him in his place. That another parent kept her mouth shut and has been spreading them around since Jan. He dediced that parent #2 isn't evil. I talked to her Saturday, her DD is still clear, but she's not dropping her vigilance.

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SnapIt
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM
This was happening to my SO's dd's class last yr
She came home twice with them
His ex was on him the first time saying it was his fault because he had taken her to a bike place and let her try on a helmet.
Although that could happen, it finally came out by the second time when parents were starting to give the heads up to others that there was a problem.
Same kid was passing them and the parents werent taking care of the issue from the start like they shouldve.
Once they removed the child until cleared, issue was finally fixed
Btw the ex never apologized for her rant on SO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Ugh. We had a note come home last week saying that the kids may have been exposed to headlice. They had checked the kids hair and nothing ever came of it for Naiya, thankfully.. Braids, product, and hair washing once every two weeks (conditioned weekly though).

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Well, parent # who texted me took care of the problem (and then with her text found out they had been in 3rd grade before Christmas).

The parent I just spoke with is taking care of it, but has had a long battle. 

I am pissed simply because she didn't tell ANYONE, that her child had them. The odds of her child truely being child #1 is slim. As you never really know who or where they started. 

So now I am going to be all skeeved out until she gets home and I can fully check her hair. I didn't do anything this morning, but clean her earrings, brush and pull abck out of her face.

Jillysmom
by Adele on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Thats bs, the school should send out a notice about it. This way all the parents are aware. They do in the elementary school here but not the older grades. I really believe this is why Jillian got them for the 1st time in 8th grade,no one told us they were around as do precautions were taken.

Kmary
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Wow I'm surprised.  Even back when I was in school I remember them sending out a note.  Weird. 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 3:30 PM

School nurse (as I emailed her): they only send out a note if they hae 2 active cases at once in the same room. 

Well, damn you did! Just that Mom of G kept her mouth shut, Mom of A let parents know.

Which if D's Mom had spoken up, we would have had 2 active cases at about the same time.

So guess what, Mom of D, your plan backfired. As if you can't make a call, I will not let my child go to a play date with yours. I feel it is FAR WORSE to hear, "yup went through that for 6 weeks" over "sorry, just found out D has lice."

New York Moms

elwalters77
by Erica on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I can't believe the school doesn't send home a note!

elwalters77
by Erica on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Reminds me of an episode of The Office

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Quoting elwalters77:

I can't believe the school doesn't send home a note!

2 kids at the same time in the same class

if mom #1 had stepped up, we would have had a note. 

as we would have had 2 at about the same time (or #2 would have been caught a few days earlier)

how many parents don't know?

New York Moms

Ewa101
by Ewa on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:18 AM

This is so embarasing, I am afraid, I would have kept my mouth shut, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)