Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

So.... kids, school, and unaware parents (update)

Posted by   + Show Post

A few weeks ago I get a text message from a classmate of Carly's Mom. "We have fun in first grade with little bugs."

Ok, headlice are going around. Oh, I don't have Carly. So I call Mom and let her know.

I check Carly's hair often. I don't have credit cards to use. So $30 for special shampoo, extra flea spray (same ingredient as the RID, but cheaper and bigger) for teh rugs, beds etc.... followed by a $50 to $60 at the laundry mat to get all the bedding washed in one blow..... SCREWS up my BUDGET royally.

A Mom calls me about PTA stuff this morning. She then beats around the bush and finally asks if I know of any problems with little bug in the 1st grade room. Why yes, I got a text message a couple of weeks ago. 

This woman has been BATTLING them since JANURAY... and DIDN'T let any of the other parents know. 

Our school doesn't send home warning letters. 

I am PISSED because this mother has been battling them for what 6 to 8 weeks and hasn't said a word. Where 3 weeks go the other Mom WHO LET PEOPLE KNOW has bene tryign to figure out where her daughter got tehm from. 

Yes, it is a note that no one wants to read..... but it needs to be told! You can't "hide" because you think other parents will flip out. Heck I am flipping out because NOTHING was said until child #2 (or possibly more)...... 

3rd child now affected. father came into teh FH witching Friday night. Of  course he was blaming child #2 (the mother who spoke up) so John put him in his place. That another parent kept her mouth shut and has been spreading them around since Jan. He dediced that parent #2 isn't evil. I talked to her Saturday, her DD is still clear, but she's not dropping her vigilance.

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Replies (11-16):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Quoting Ewa101:

This is so embarasing, I am afraid, I would have kept my mouth shut, too.

problem with that thought is that it spreads. we aren't talking a puke thing where you can't prevent it. 

we are talking about 1st graders hugging, sharing things, holding their heads against eachother whispering. 

no wonder this mother has been fighting it for 8 weeks, her kid keeps getting them from unaware parents. 

It sucks, and you are *that* Mom and your kid is *that* kid. Yet, when I had to make calls 3 yrs ago, no one said a bad word to any of us. I got all thank you for telling me, what do they look like, do you know who else has them?

New York Moms

Kimmiky
by Kimmiky on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I took my daughter to get her hair cut before school started and the hairdresser told me that hair spray or hair gel would keep the bugs from "sticking" in her hair to some degree.  And when I spoke to my sister in law about the school notifying parents or sending a letter home, she said that in her school ( she teaches in Port Byron) they would only send a letter home if it was an epidemic, not if only one or two kids have it.

I spoke to my daughter's pre k teacher from last year and she confirmed that that was the way in my school district and that she found out that lice don't like mint and that she used this paul mitchell tea tree oil stuff which is fairly esxpensive but that you only have to use a teeny amount . . . I found a Organix kind that is mint scented.  I use the conditioner a few times a week on my daughter as a preventative measure

I feel that the teacher at least should send something home and maybe the bus driver if they KNOW that a child has lice since it is a pain to battle and expensive as well. 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Quoting Kimmiky:

I took my daughter to get her hair cut before school started and the hairdresser told me that hair spray or hair gel would keep the bugs from "sticking" in her hair to some degree.  And when I spoke to my sister in law about the school notifying parents or sending a letter home, she said that in her school ( she teaches in Port Byron) they would only send a letter home if it was an epidemic, not if only one or two kids have it.

I spoke to my daughter's pre k teacher from last year and she confirmed that that was the way in my school district and that she found out that lice don't like mint and that she used this paul mitchell tea tree oil stuff which is fairly esxpensive but that you only have to use a teeny amount . . . I found a Organix kind that is mint scented.  I use the conditioner a few times a week on my daughter as a preventative measure

I feel that the teacher at least should send something home and maybe the bus driver if they KNOW that a child has lice since it is a pain to battle and expensive as well. 

I have heard that gels, hair sprays, leave in conditioners etc can reduce the chances as lice are lazy and don't want to deal with sticky messes. I have also heard that perms & coloring can have the same effect.

I tend to use (as a rinse) an empty shampoo bottle with 2 tablespoons peroxide in it. As the mom yesterday said "won't that turn her hair orange?" Um, highlights or lice, I'll take highlights. 

Carly's Mom sent her home with tea tree oil in her hair, I started wheezing. I tried an "all natural" flea drop on the dogs (peppermint, tea tree, etc) yup, started wheezing, to the poitn where John had to bathe the dogs.

New York Moms

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM

This hair product line is formulated to guard against lice http://www.fairytaleshaircare.com/. Sorry I can't make it clicky on the iPad.

Quoting Kimmiky:

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM

added an update

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

As embarassing as it may be a parent needs to be vigilant and notify the school and friends. To not do so is HORRIBLE in my opinion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)