Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Good news

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM
  • 16 Replies
Xavier can hear perfectly fine. So that's another thing marked off. The test was interesting. He didn't look toward the sound he covered his eyes then his ears. The Dr. also looked in his ears and did a sound wave test.
Now to figure out if he has a processing disorder or something else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad his hearing checked out!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Oh, that is GREAT news!!!
How do they test for processing disorder? Is that Auditory or something else?
Does Xavier have sensory processing issues?

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Mar. 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM
He can't tell the difference between really hot water or really cold water. He refuses to wear gloves, socks or shoes. He has an unusually high pain tolerance.
I have no idea how they test for it. It's the brain not being able to process the sounds. He loves music though.

Quoting SamMom912:

Oh, that is GREAT news!!!
How do they test for processing disorder? Is that Auditory or something else?
Does Xavier have sensory processing issues?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Mar. 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I don't know how they test for it either.

Johnny has a very high pain tolerance, the rest of it I didn't really notice... lol

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Mar. 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I did some research, they do a hearing test to make sure the child can actually hear and a series of cognitive test. His Pediatrician tried doing some and early intervention tried doing a few with him but he just didn't get it unless you were physically showing him without the use of words. Even then they had to show him more than a few times. It is common in children who have Down Syndrome, Autism, PDD-NOS, ADHD and children not exposed to language.He has another `Dr. appointment on Friday to discuss the results and go from there.

I think the only reason I have noticed most of the stuff is because his Dr. said to keep track of it. Derek doesn't notice it unless I say see, oh that  I have seen him  do that. He does it all the time. The only reason I noticed the hot and cold water thing is because he was playing in the sink with the water on next to me as I was doing dishes. I went to rinse off  a plate and nearly dropped it because the water was to hot. Turned it to cold stuck and his hands under it and he just kept playing like there was no temp change.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Johnny has a very high pain tolerance, the rest of it I didn't really notice... lol

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Sam is the other way around. If something is a tiny bit hot, he screams bloody murder. We have to wait until food is just about cold before he can eat it. Bths are luke warm (gross) showers are almost intolerable since the water feels like needles. 

Can i ask you... When Xaviers waves, does he wave with the palm of his hand facing himself? Just curious. 

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

I did some research, they do a hearing test to make sure the child can actually hear and a series of cognitive test. His Pediatrician tried doing some and early intervention tried doing a few with him but he just didn't get it unless you were physically showing him without the use of words. Even then they had to show him more than a few times. It is common in children who have Down Syndrome, Autism, PDD-NOS, ADHD and children not exposed to language.He has another `Dr. appointment on Friday to discuss the results and go from there.

I think the only reason I have noticed most of the stuff is because his Dr. said to keep track of it. Derek doesn't notice it unless I say see, oh that  I have seen him  do that. He does it all the time. The only reason I noticed the hot and cold water thing is because he was playing in the sink with the water on next to me as I was doing dishes. I went to rinse off  a plate and nearly dropped it because the water was to hot. Turned it to cold stuck and his hands under it and he just kept playing like there was no temp change.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM

towards himself and sometimes he will wave with both hands but then they're facing inward towards each other. He does  lot of arm and hand flapping then his palms are facing each other. The ladies at Daycare keep saying oh Xavier is waving to us and they wave back to him. They know he has delays. I know I should just tell them look he's not waving, without sounding rude.

Quoting SamMom912:

Sam is the other way around. If something is a tiny bit hot, he screams bloody murder. We have to wait until food is just about cold before he can eat it. Bths are luke warm (gross) showers are almost intolerable since the water feels like needles. 

Can i ask you... When Xaviers waves, does he wave with the palm of his hand facing himself? Just curious. 

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

elwalters77
by Erica on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:17 PM

That's great news!

Jillysmom
by Adele on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:24 AM

glad his hearing is good, one step at a time

Ewa101
by Ewa on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:21 AM

That's good news.  Please keep us posted. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)