Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Legos

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:31 AM
  • 14 Replies

Legos come in sets these days like Star Wars, Lego City, Harry Potter, Ninjago, Super Heroes, etc etc. When your kids get a Lego set and they put it together, what happens next? Do they keep the sets seperated so they can put them together again or do they get dumped into a big bucket with all the rest of the Legos? How do they organize their Legos or don't they...?

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lish2127
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Up until recently DS kept them all in the boxes they came in. THe problem was I would find random pieces laying around and wouldn't know which set to put it with, plus all the space it took up. He hardly ever wanted to play with them. He finally decided and I agreed to just put them altogether. He loves it. He can actually build some cool stuff now and use his imagination instead of trying to follow directions when there are pieces missing. He has a huge skate park set that he just mixed in...part of me cringes knowing the skate park will never be what it came as, but it's so much more fun for him to make whatever he wants.

Emschick38
by Ali on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:23 AM
My daughter and i were discussing legos recently and i told her i dislike how hard it is to find a bhcket of legos. If my kids got legos i would encourage them to make the set and then put it in a big bucket. I love encouraging them to use their imagination
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by Sue on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Dump in a plastic tub with lid. I heat an old screw driver and melt several air holes along bottom and top edges just in case someone gets 'tubbed’'.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:38 AM

My kids don't really do legos. They don't seem to have the patience, or attention span, to sit and play with them

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:39 AM

But in my head, I would want them separated because I'm anal but I realize that would be futile.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM

They take them apart. 

We do have most of our Harry Potter sets in a seperate tote from the main lego's and the Bionciles are in their own totes. 

The rest are dumped into a toy box, that is ALL legos! 

We do keep the directions in a drawer on their desk, they seem to ahve no problem digging through. 

Ideally we would have seperate small bins in the big box for the figures, wheels and other odd things that get lost.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM
We have the lego head separator. Some stuff we have put together stays... Millennium falcon, tie fighter plane, and some monster castle... But smaller stuff gets eventually pulled apart and put into lego head.
I keep the books in a folder incase he wants to put them together again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lish2127
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:23 PM

The boys might be more interested in a couple years....many of the sets are like 5+, 7+

Quoting lizmarie1975:

My kids don't really do legos. They don't seem to have the patience, or attention span, to sit and play with them

lish2127
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I've seen some pretty cool Lego seperator containers, but we just have two regular Lego containers they keep them in. We do try to keep the minifigs in a seperate bag.

Quoting SamMom912:

We have the lego head separator. Some stuff we have put together stays... Millennium falcon, tie fighter plane, and some monster castle... But smaller stuff gets eventually pulled apart and put into lego head.
I keep the books in a folder incase he wants to put them together again.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM

they go in child proof box. The older kids know they have to ask first then they stay at the table. they don't stay in the sets. kids have  tendency to claim certain sets. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN