• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do they still take out tonsils? *edit*

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 17 Replies
My five year old daughter has been really sick for the last few days. It started two weeks ago with a sore throat. The doctor said that it was probably allergies or asthma. We took her back on Friday because she's been running a temp and vomiting. Today I called the on call cause she's screaming about something "biting" her on the tummy.

I just looked her symptoms up and they seem to point to tonsilitis. . . But she's on an antibiotics right now and I didn't know if they still took them or if they just treat the kids with antibiotics nowadays.

Anyone have any idea? Is it a really crazy procedure? My daughter is only 5
*update* my daughter is doing much better . . . There was a point when dh wanted to take her to the er cause she was throwing up so much. But in the end it all worked out fine. She is on antibiotics like I said. I'm not even sure what was wrong with her cause my son had a stomach bug for the last few days. . . So maybe it was a.combination of a few.things. but thanks for all your well wishes and thoughts
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethy16
by Beth on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:54 PM
My daughter was 3 last year when she had hers out. She had tonsillitis many times and they were so swollen all the time they touched. They took them.out and she hasn't been sick since.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:59 PM

They don't take them out like they used to.  It used to be, at the first sign of trouble they'd yank 'em.  Pretty much everybody got them out, like wisdom teeth.  My Mom said it was like a right of passage.

They will suggest removing the tonsils if they tend to get inflamed often or cause trouble more than normal.

They will also remove them if you happen to get "tonsil stones."  These stones can be irritating and painful and contribute to bad breath.

But for a first time offense and if they respond to the antibiotics, they'll get a pass.  Just be aware if it starts to happen more often or doesn't respond to treatment, it is a real possibility.  And while any surgery on children can be scary, people who suffer frequent tonsil issues find immediate relief from the procedure.

Jillysmom
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM

My dd had hers out too. They have to have an on going issue with them and not just a one time infection. Hope she is better soon.

Jessicamarquez
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM
I had to be sick about a dozen of times before they took mine out....not too bad of a procedure. They lied about the ice cream thou I got Italian ice :( lol hope she feels better soon!
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:11 PM
They don't take them out like they once did. With all the problems my boys have had ENT wise, only one has had them out. Even the ENT was hesitant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimmiky
by Kimmiky on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM
What's ENT?

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

They don't take them out like they once did. With all the problems my boys have had ENT wise, only one has had them out. Even the ENT was hesitant.
Kimmiky
by Kimmiky on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM
She loves Italian ice. I keep giving her popsicles but she can't keep them down :(
I hope tomorrow will be better

Quoting Jessicamarquez:

I had to be sick about a dozen of times before they took mine out....not too bad of a procedure. They lied about the ice cream thou I got Italian ice :( lol hope she feels better soon!
Jessicamarquez
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Awe good luck!

Quoting Kimmiky:

She loves Italian ice. I keep giving her popsicles but she can't keep them down :(

I hope tomorrow will be better

Quoting Jessicamarquez:

lovegrandbaby
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:45 PM

ENT is Ear Nose and Throat Dr.  

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Ear nose throat dr. 

Cj had lots of ear infections; not so great hearing; then because of his weight and the risk of bleeding problems with tonsils he did a sleep study. the results of the sleep study were so bad, that he had his tonsils out and stayed overnight for obs. 

Quoting Kimmiky:

What's ENT?

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)