Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Bringing food to holiday dinner.

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:44 AM
  • 12 Replies

So, if you have a picky eater and you know there will be no food at the holiday for your picky eater... Do you bring stuff for them? 

Also, if you are bringing stuff for them, and there are other little kids..what do you do? Is that your problem? 

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethy16
by Beth on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:51 AM
I bring for my kid or if it is someone who knows my daughter they know she won't eat. My aunt made her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for Passover Seder lol

Most kids are picky and while I don't cater to my son who is just picky, my daughter has a SPD so there are things no matter how hard she tries she just can't get herself to eat it. So yes I make sure there is something for her to eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Hmm.  I was a picky eater as a child and my mom did sometimes cater to me and bring something she knew I'd eat.  Though she wouldn't just bring enough for me personally.  She'd bring it under the pretense of it being just  a dish to share for everyone, but would be extra careful that I got some right away before it was gone.  And I wonder why my 4 brothers used to call me spoiled all the time...

Joking aside, I think anyone you'd be having a dinner party with would be aware that kids can be picky and wouldn't think it was odd for you to bring something just for your child.  At least I wouldn't think much of it.  But maybe some people would.  Admittedly, some adults are funny about that stuff, especially those who don't have children and don't "get it." 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Sam has a ton of anxiety around new foods. He will melt down, cry, starve, and then be grumpy cause he is hungry. Lol.  Yesterday we went to hubbys aunts house. From 1-7. I brought 2 slices of pizza, a green apple, some pepperoni for him, just in case. 

aunt made grilled flank steak, shrimp With some side salads. My hubbys cousin has 2 boys 8 and 6. According to them, children should eat what they are served. Well, i dont have that philosophy anymore since my sons reaction. It really is fear based...and it takes a lot to introduce him to new foods. He is on the spectrum, dont forget. 

So, hubbys cousin satarted giving me guff for bringing pizza saying her kids would of course rather eat pizza.. So i tried to explain that is isnt a rather. He wouldnt eat any of that. But she was less then understanding.., 

We dont see each other often. I treid to pepper the conversation with some special education comments... Lol.. Cause looking at sam you cant really tell... Until he starts to stim or perseverate... Then you just think he is weird, she doesnt spend a lot of time with her kids. Is full time ad exec who entertains clients alot at night and travels to greece and france for 2 weeks a month and has full time nanny. 

Quoting Kmary:

Hmm.  I was a picky eater as a child and my mom did sometimes cater to me and bring something she knew I'd eat.  Though she wouldn't just bring enough for me personally.  She'd bring it under the pretense of it being just  a dish to share for everyone, but would be extra careful that I got some right away before it was gone.  And I wonder why my 4 brothers used to call me spoiled all the time...

Joking aside, I think anyone you'd be having a dinner party with would be aware that kids can be picky and wouldn't think it was odd for you to bring something just for your child.  At least I wouldn't think much of it.  But maybe some people would.  Admittedly, some adults are funny about that stuff, especially those who don't have children and don't "get it." 

Kmary
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:45 AM

So in other words, she does not get it.  And she probably never will. 

I knew you weren't bringing the food just because Sam is plain old picky.  But honestly, it doesn't matter why you brought it.  Your kid, your choice. My kids aren't on the spectrum and I still don't believe in the philosophy of kids eating what is served or they don't eat.  Grilled steak and shrimp aren't exactly super kid-friendly foods anyway.   Guess it's good you dont' have to see them all the time...

Quoting SamMom912:

Sam has a ton of anxiety around new foods. He will melt down, cry, starve, and then be grumpy cause he is hungry. Lol.  Yesterday we went to hubbys aunts house. From 1-7. I brought 2 slices of pizza, a green apple, some pepperoni for him, just in case. 

aunt made grilled flank steak, shrimp With some side salads. My hubbys cousin has 2 boys 8 and 6. According to them, children should eat what they are served. Well, i dont have that philosophy anymore since my sons reaction. It really is fear based...and it takes a lot to introduce him to new foods. He is on the spectrum, dont forget. 

So, hubbys cousin satarted giving me guff for bringing pizza saying her kids would of course rather eat pizza.. So i tried to explain that is isnt a rather. He wouldnt eat any of that. But she was less then understanding.., 

We dont see each other often. I treid to pepper the conversation with some special education comments... Lol.. Cause looking at sam you cant really tell... Until he starts to stim or perseverate... Then you just think he is weird, she doesnt spend a lot of time with her kids. Is full time ad exec who entertains clients alot at night and travels to greece and france for 2 weeks a month and has full time nanny. 

Quoting Kmary:

elwalters77
by Erica on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Other kids are not your problem. My cousin brings food to everything because her daughter has allergies. She gives her what she can that is there, but always has a back up. And in Sam's case, bringing something he will eat is essential. She will never understand. She can take her rude comments and shove 'em!

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids aren't on the spectrum and I still bring food, just in case.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jillysmom
by Adele on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM
I always from something for JIllian, she does not eat anything. she has such issues with textures. if we try to make her eat something and it's got a text this to do something like he literally throws up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM
I can't imagine anyone getting annoyed if you brought food for yhour child. Maybe she took it personally? Or maybe she feels since her kids eat what she made so should yours? Who knows, people are weird. Thankfully my kids are not picky but I wouldn't care if you brought food for your child if he doesn't eat what I'm making. But I will also say my neice and nephew are very picky so I always make sure to make something I know they will eat.
Sorry she was so witchy about it. Don't listen to people like that. They're not worth it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsRkg
by New Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I have a picky eater and I most definitely bring food for him at holiday parties. Usually the other kids don't want any, but I always make sure to bring a lot so that anyone who wants some can have.

JoGibson
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I am required to bring my own plate to the inlaws.  My family asks each member of my family to bring a dish to pass because the family is so large (300-500 people gatherings).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN