Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Potty training regression

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Liz
  • 6 Replies
Nadir is frustrating me.

He started off potty training ok. He was peeing in the potty, not regularly, but a few times during the day. Since his move to the preschool room, he has basically stopped peeing in the potty. He's done it a couple of times and received rewards for it but he still prefers to wear pullups. For the past couple of weeks, he has tried to stop himself from peeing completely. He'll have on a pull-up but he'll cross his legs and try to stop the pee from coming out. I tell him it's ok to pee because he has on a pull-up or I offer to take him into the bathroom but he just says he doesn't like to pee. The daycare says he doesn't even respond to rewards anymore.

I'm really at a loss. Do I just let him continue on in pull ups? I'm afraid that it will hold him back from progressing in daycare.

I'd love your advice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mypitusadoll
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Oh, the joys of potty training... I remember those days when my kids were Nadir's age. I know it can be challenging for any parent, but I also know that they learn, so don't give up. I want to offer two articles that were put together by the counselors at Focus on the Family, the organization I am associated with: We've been trying to potty-train our 2-year-old son for several months now, so far without success. Is this normal? and Potty Training. You can also call one of them at 1-855-771-4357, they'll be happy to talk with you and offer some ideas. There is no charge for this service. I hope this information is helpful.

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Leave him in pull ups. The one thing kids have complete control over is going to the bathroom.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:14 PM
And eating...
Cant force it out (pee poop) cant force it in (eating).

I might take him to the urologist just to make sure he isn't holding it in due to discomfort letting it out...
Id also look at it from a sensory standpoint- since i know he has some sensory stuff... Does he not like that its cold when he takes his pants off? Does he like the feeling of full bladder ( and the other physical sensations that come when he has to pee).
I also think that once he decides to go on the potty he will... Most kids i know train when they r ready all on their own. My guess is Nadir knows what and where he is supposed to do... And when he is ready- he will.
How old is he?

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Leave him in pull ups. The one thing kids have complete control over is going to the bathroom.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM
He's 3 1/2. I figure I'll stop pushing because I could just be turning him off.

I'm going to work on getting him to sleep in a big boy bed. He doesn't seem too keen on that either though.

Quoting SamMom912:

And eating...

I might take him to the urologist just to make sure he isn't holding it in due to discomfort letting it out...

Id also look at it from a sensory standpoint- since i know he has some sensory stuff... Does he not like that its cold when he takes his pants off? Does he like the feeling of full bladder ( and the other physical sensations that come when he has to pee).

I also think that once he decides to go on the potty he will... Most kids i know train when they r ready all on their own. My guess is Nadir knows what and where he is supposed to do... And when he is ready- he will.

How old is he?

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Thanks!

Quoting mypitusadoll:

Oh, the joys of potty training... I remember those days when my kids were Nadir's age. I know it can be challenging for any parent, but I also know that they learn, so don't give up. I want to offer two articles that were put together by the counselors at Focus on the Family, the organization I am associated with: We've been trying to potty-train our 2-year-old son for several months now, so far without success. Is this normal? and Potty Training. You can also call one of them at 1-855-771-4357, they'll be happy to talk with you and offer some ideas. There is no charge for this service. I hope this information is helpful.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Hmmm a little man, not big on change.... I know lots of people not big on change. Lol

Quoting lizmarie1975:

He's 3 1/2. I figure I'll stop pushing because I could just be turning him off.

I'm going to work on getting him to sleep in a big boy bed. He doesn't seem too keen on that either though.

Quoting SamMom912:

And eating...

How old is he?

Quoting lady-J-Rock:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN