Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Condecending or.... please vote

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM
  • 4 Replies

Poll

Question: So, is this condecending or trying to be helpful?

Options:

condecending:

helpful

cant tell

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 5

View Results

Condecending or trying to be helpful. I cant tell...

I got this email from the kids social group I signed Sam up for after school one afternoon per week.
Sam has had a rough time since Feb at school. As you may know.. hiding in his closet. refusing to go to school. asking to be picked up early.
they are trying to wrok with him, BUT, he still isnt really getting the support he needs (or he wouldnt be fighting it so much). and the day really does wear him out. He HAS been holding it together, very few outbursts in school.. but, at the end of the day sometimes he is just DONE.

Mrs.XXXX

I hope you had a nice weekend. I just wanted to touch base to see if Sam will be coming to "kids social group" this week. His friends as well as Pat and myself miss having him in group. I think Sam has an opportunity to make some new friends before group ends in several weeks. Not sure if you know, but consistency is important for kids his age so I would very much encourage you to encourage him to give it a try and to get him to stick with it.

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to send me an email or call the office.

FYI- The woman who sent me this is about 22 years old. Fresh out of college. No kids.

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I think she's trying to be helpful. I'm glad you put the disclaimer that she's fresh out of college, though. I think that swayed me over to helpful choice.

lish2127
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

"Not sure if you know," Is the only part that I can see that could maybe be taken condecendingly, but it does remind me of something a young, fresh out of school teacher or child psychology major would say though. Like, I know this because I studied it in school. Don't think she meant any harm though.

Consistency is important for all the kids involved in the playgroup so Sam coming consistenly is good for the whole group as well as himself. More of good for the whole group, and not down to you...if that makes sense.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Helpful mostly. But I also think the "not sure if you know" part would tick me off. I would respond with , "not sure if you know, but I've been raising my son for 6 yrs and know what's best for him and what he can and can not handle" but yet again, I'm a bitch and you're nice.
I think she was just trying to find out, encourage you back. But what even the professionals don't get, there is no one size fits all for kids, whether they have "issues" or not. Even with my 3, I have to tweak things to suit their personal needs and personalities. She is going by the book and well, sometimes the book isn't right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jillysmom
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM

She's young but I think she is trying to be helpful

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)