Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's your secret?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Liz
  • 9 Replies

To combatting mosquitos?

We live on a lake and last week when it was about 80 degrees, we were outside and I got bit about 4 times. WTH?!

I bought some pitcher plants in the hopes that it will lessen the bug problem. We'll see if I can keep them alive. I'm thinking of getting an actual citronella plant to keep on the deck.

Other than slathering myself with OFF...is there anything else you suggest?

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

There are some things floating around facebook..... involving soda bottles, something dark and a non-toxic cocktail of stuff.....

powow65
by Kim on Apr. 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM
I buy the buy spray stuff but yeah..... $4.00 per bottle can add up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Ive heard they don't like rosemary.. If you plant the herb, maybe they will go away. They also don't like carbon dioxide- so breathe heavy- but dont sweat- they like sweat! Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I thought this was going to be a juicy, hot post! Darn!
Sorry, no advice on tthe mosquitos however.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jillysmom
by Adele on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:35 AM

We have them bad here too being close to the water and swamps. Someone told me to hang a dryer sheet out of your pocket, they don't like the smell. Well it seems to work pretty good.

elwalters77
by Erica on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Hmmm, we don't have a big problem with them. I guess living near a lake, but far enough from it is our secret. They're all near the shore and stay away from us.
PinkButterfly66
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Fabric softener sheets.  Tuck one in your pocket, with a bit hanging out.  Keeps the mosquitos away. Brand doesn't matter.  Buzz Away is a completely all natural repellant that is safer than off.  I would stay away from OFF.

Kimmiky
by Kimmiky on Apr. 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I've never heard rosemary but I have heard they do not like marigolds. I have never tried it though.
I like Steph's suggestion too.

Quoting SamMom912:

Ive heard they don't like rosemary.. If you plant the herb, maybe they will go away. They also don't like carbon dioxide- so breathe heavy- but dont sweat- they like sweat! Lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by Sue on Apr. 23, 2013 at 10:29 AM

A big pedestal fan. It really helps and we live just up from a lake and down from a woods. Plus, I leave my spiders alone. They guard the corners of my porch and by the end of summer they are the size of dinner plates!:-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)