Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Personal question--sort of odd scenario

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hi ladies,

So this is the odd part:  my dh learned today that he is one of the 4% of men in the world who can not have a vasectomy.  Something to do with the length of the vas deferens, position of scrotum...I don't know...so weird.  Anyway, so we will be getting a second opinion, but should he truly be unable to have one, I was wondering if any of you have had a form of permanent birth control done on yourself?  Tubal ligation?  Essure?  I realize that I can google this information, but I'm always wary to do that because people with perfectly good experiences aren't usually compelled to write about it online and I feel that you end up reading a disproportionate amount of negative experiences.  I don't think I know anyone in real life who's had either procedure, at least not recently, so I thought I might ask here about your experiences.

Thanks in advance!

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizmarie1975
by Liz on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Whoa! I've never heard of that.

I don't know anyone who has had either. I've got the Paraguard IUD.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Get the second opinion... I knwo teh Dr my DH went to cut the vas deferens, and clamped both end of the cut..... so he has a total of 4 small clamps closing off the Vas Deferens.... plus the section that was cut out. 

I have a mirena IUD in addition to his V. I couldn't stand my body doing what it wanted, when it wanted, and for variius durations. 

My best friend had a tubal with her 3rd c-section and she fell into the 1 of 200 that had it reverse, ALTHOUGH it was almost 7 yrs later (we just welcomed a new nephew  in Dec). Her Dr was shocked, usually it happens so soon that it wasn't like ti was done at all. 

Bethy16
by Beth on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM
I went to have the essure but when she put a camera in my tubes were totally closed shut. She put a dye in and it didn't go through. Then we had the surprise of our lives a year ago when our daughter was born after she told me I couldn't have any more lol My husband went for a vasectomy and he was told he did have short vast defs etc so it had to be done in the hospital under anesthesia. It was fine and it is done
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM
You are near me so it was probably the same practice.

Quoting Bethy16:

I went to have the essure but when she put a camera in my tubes were totally closed shut. She put a dye in and it didn't go through. Then we had the surprise of our lives a year ago when our daughter was born after she told me I couldn't have any more lol My husband went for a vasectomy and he was told he did have short vast defs etc so it had to be done in the hospital under anesthesia. It was fine and it is done
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethy16
by Beth on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:33 AM
This was the Huntington medical group. Which practice did he go to?

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Bethy16:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Now that I see your avatar, which I couldn't on my ipod, you might not be the Mom East of Syracuse..... 
He initally saw Bass at whatever the Syracuse big urology group is (the only urology group). 

Quoting Bethy16:

This was the Huntington medical group. Which practice did he go to?

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Bethy16:

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM
I had a tubal and regret it!
My periods are horrible! I bleed through 2 pads and a tampon under an hour. I have huge clots, mood swings that make norman bates look normal, and horrible pains.
not related to my tubal of not even 2 yrs ago I now need hysterectomy and while surgery terrifies me, I am thrilled to be able to having periods. Research tubals, I didn't as my c section was anemergency surprise a month early and never knew the side effects could be so bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elwalters77
by Erica on Apr. 27, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I never even considered the fact that some men might not be able to have a vasectomy. IDK. I am pretty much broken (infertile), so we don't do anything and at this point if I were to get pregnant I'd be ok with that.
Kmary
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Yes...this is what I'm afraid of.  And I believe I may not be a candidate for the Essure procedure, either, as it uses metal clamps and I have a very strong nickel allergy.

Ugh.  Maybe we should just keep having kids instead.  Haha!

Quoting Cecelia712:

I had a tubal and regret it!
My periods are horrible! I bleed through 2 pads and a tampon under an hour. I have huge clots, mood swings that make norman bates look normal, and horrible pains.
not related to my tubal of not even 2 yrs ago I now need hysterectomy and while surgery terrifies me, I am thrilled to be able to having periods. Research tubals, I didn't as my c section was anemergency surprise a month early and never knew the side effects could be so bad.

Kmary
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 8:08 AM

That's really good to know about your husband.  I did find it sort of  hard to believe that a vasectomy can not be done on my husband at all.  Here's hoping that second opinion yields better results.

Quoting Bethy16:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)