Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Personal question--sort of odd scenario

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi ladies,

So this is the odd part:  my dh learned today that he is one of the 4% of men in the world who can not have a vasectomy.  Something to do with the length of the vas deferens, position of scrotum...I don't know...so weird.  Anyway, so we will be getting a second opinion, but should he truly be unable to have one, I was wondering if any of you have had a form of permanent birth control done on yourself?  Tubal ligation?  Essure?  I realize that I can google this information, but I'm always wary to do that because people with perfectly good experiences aren't usually compelled to write about it online and I feel that you end up reading a disproportionate amount of negative experiences.  I don't think I know anyone in real life who's had either procedure, at least not recently, so I thought I might ask here about your experiences.

Thanks in advance!

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Replies (11-19):
Jillysmom
by Adele on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM

LOL, I was thinking when did one of them move

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Now that I see your avatar, which I couldn't on my ipod, you might not be the Mom East of Syracuse..... 
He initally saw Bass at whatever the Syracuse big urology group is (the only urology group). 

Quoting Bethy16:

This was the Huntington medical group. Which practice did he go to?

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

You are near me so it was probably the same practice.

Quoting Bethy16:

I went to have the essure but when she put a camera in my tubes were totally closed shut. She put a dye in and it didn't go through. Then we had the surprise of our lives a year ago when our daughter was born after she told me I couldn't have any more lol My husband went for a vasectomy and he was told he did have short vast defs etc so it had to be done in the hospital under anesthesia. It was fine and it is done

Jillysmom
by Adele on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I wish mine would ever think about it because at 48 I would like to stop having to worry. Good Luck

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Youve only got about 4-5 years left to worry... Then the shop will be closed up and youll have all the menopausal crap to deal with... No fun. .. 

Quoting Jillysmom:

I wish mine would ever think about it because at 48 I would like to stop having to worry. Good Luck

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Hubby got a vsect last spring. It didnt hurt or bother him a bit, what was silly was we tried for 4.5 years to get Sam. Had tons of problems conceiving... And then after Sam to no avail.. .For 5 years...nothing... And then At 4o i got prego and miscarried.. After that i wasnt taking any chances and started with nuvaring til hubby was cleared for no swimmers. 

Kmary
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I know more people with stories like that!  Tons of proof to the old saying that "it'll happen when you stop trying."  Unfortunately, we can't force our brains to stop thinking about something so  major that we want so badly, so this info isn't really helpful at all.  I have a friend right now due any day with the baby they conceived immediately after returning from Ethiopia to adopt their daughter.  This was after many years of trying and basically being told it wasn't ever going to happen naturally.

Quoting SamMom912:

Hubby got a vsect last spring. It didnt hurt or bother him a bit, what was silly was we tried for 4.5 years to get Sam. Had tons of problems conceiving... And then after Sam to no avail.. .For 5 years...nothing... And then At 4o i got prego and miscarried.. After that i wasnt taking any chances and started with nuvaring til hubby was cleared for no swimmers. 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I too have tons of friends met on the couch at fertility drs office who have similar stories! HOnestly, i think it has everything to do with body chemistry which is always changing. 

Sorry my info wasnt helpful... But if hubby does get vsect... Know it doesnt hurt at all. Hubby went on a 3 mile hike with the family the very next day. 

Quoting Kmary:

I know more people with stories like that!  Tons of proof to the old saying that "it'll happen when you stop trying."  Unfortunately, we can't force our brains to stop thinking about something so  major that we want so badly, so this info isn't really helpful at all.  I have a friend right now due any day with the baby they conceived immediately after returning from Ethiopia to adopt their daughter.  This was after many years of trying and basically being told it wasn't ever going to happen naturally.

Quoting SamMom912:

Jillysmom
by Adele on May. 1, 2013 at 8:50 AM
You would think starting at 9 shop would close now.

Quoting SamMom912:

Youve only got about 4-5 years left to worry... Then the shop will be closed up and youll have all the menopausal crap to deal with... No fun. .. 

Quoting Jillysmom:

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM

LOL...

Quoting Jillysmom:

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting Jillysmom:

elwalters77
by Erica on May. 1, 2013 at 9:57 AM

LOL, you'd think!

9?! That sucks.

Quoting Jillysmom:

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting Jillysmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN