Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Have your kids ever had to deal with the loss of a pet?

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 6:28 AM
  • 9 Replies

Have your kids ever had to deal with the loss of a pet? One of my dogs isn't doing so well and I'm afraid of how my son will handle it if things take a turn for the worst.

by on May. 9, 2013 at 6:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Bethy16
by Beth on May. 9, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Unfortunately yes. Just this year we lost one in august and then very unexpectedly in October. My kids were 8 and 3 at the time. I don't know how old your son is but there are some great books. I like the one by Mr Rogers. I do not the like the book by Maria Schriver in her book she says that dogs do not go to the same heaven as humans do. I would never tell my kids that. With our dog Jacob who we knew was sick we were able to kind of give them a heads up and prepare them. When Lilly died that was really awful or all of us. Ia sorry you have to go through this :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lady-J-Rock
by Niki on May. 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM
Hannah has a few times. We had two rats die from old age, a hedgehog who died from cancer, two Guinea pigs died from old age and a rabbit who we aren't sure what happened with. And fish that our cat ate. She was OK with it. We talked about why it happened. I think it helped that we told her when we first got the pets that they don't live very long. I know she will be quite upset if anything happens to the dogs or cats or her turtle.
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on May. 9, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Yes we have.... 
in 2003 my MIL had to have her dog put down. That was hard, but they did well. i just don't suggest using the phrase "put to sleep" that might bit you in the @$$ when they need surgery. It was fun explaining to the nurses why they couldn't use that phrase with Garrett (his surgery was 2 weeks after the dog).

Then we lost our dog in a more traditional manner. He just passed, along with 2 guinea pigs, 3 hamster, a cat, and too many fish to count. We've done the whole circle of life thing a few times.

I much prefer the trauma of a loss of a pet as the ice breaker to Great Grandparents. 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1/4 we lost our little fur girl. She was 14. For a long time (sept) we knew she had cancer. We talked about how the dog was going to die and go to heaven. The day she left my son had a play date- i was so neevous about telling him- but he was great! He understood, and talks about getting another soon.
I on the itherhand was just crying night before last because i miss her so... Even now, typing.. Tears r welling...
lizmarie1975
by Liz on May. 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM

No. I don't do pets. My daughter had a couple of hermit crabs and apparently those died of neglect.

lish2127
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Yes, we got a kitten 3 yrs ago...went through a cat rescue, did the interview, reference check, paid $100 for this pretty maincoon kitten. A week later he had an accident that was most likely my almost 5yr olds fault. We handled it so he wouldn't feel like it was his fault, but he was fully aware of what happened and saw the cat dead.

We went out and found a free cat immediately...but then had to pay for vet stuff that had already been covered for the other cat. On the plus side, our cat is a really great cat. The maincoon was born to feral parents and was a bit skiddish so he may not have been as friendly as our cat.

lish2127
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Oh we've lost fish and my son's hermit crab too...although he still has the crab's claws 

Jillysmom
by Adele on May. 9, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Sorry your son will be dealing with this but like Beth said there are some good books. I do agree with not the theme "going to sleep"

elwalters77
by Erica on May. 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that. We literally lost our cat this winter. He just disappeared.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN