Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

can new york moms recommend

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 9 Replies
Hi I want my 3 1/2 year old to take swimming classes this summer can anyone recommend anywhere that give classes in or around Queens ?

And any other suggestions that I can do with her on a weekend now that its nice out I am trying to fill my weekends spending time with my baby .

Thanks
by on May. 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:28 AM

If you are close by, the Cross Island YMCA offers swimming classes.  DD started this past Saturday and it was nice.  You can check out their website - they offer classes in sessions so the Spring II session just started and the Summer I session should be starting some time in June.

Have you been to the Queens County Farm on Little Neck?  It's nice and it's free.

Where in Queens?  How far do you want to travel?

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on May. 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Sorry I am Upstate more, our Towns offer them here through Parks and Recreation (for a fee), in addition to the YMCA, and I think one of the gym's does... so maybe similar places by you?

maddiemommy2009
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM
I did call there they say I have to wait for the july august classes . I took her to the farm carnival she enjoyed it . As long as I have an address and google lol I'll take her anywhere ooo and money lol

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

If you are close by, the Cross Island YMCA offers swimming classes.  DD started this past Saturday and it was nice.  You can check out their website - they offer classes in sessions so the Spring II session just started and the Summer I session should be starting some time in June.

Have you been to the Queens County Farm on Little Neck?  It's nice and it's free.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Yeah, they just started classes this past week. :/

* Safe-T-Swim - there are several locations throughout the area. 

* NYSC - they actually hold swimming classes.  I know the one in Long Beach definitely holds swimming classes for kids.

* Long Island Swimming - it's right by Roosevelt Field Mall

For places to go...

* LICM - again right by Roosevelt Field Mall.  I take DD there sometimes on really hot days.

* The zoo - Queens has a zoo and of course Bronx Zoo.

* Parks - there are tons of parks in the area to bring your DD

* Alley Pond - they have programs and the park of course.  I have a friend who takes her DD there all the time.

* White Post Farms - it's out by Melville, so it's further but it's so much fun.  DD loves it there and there are animals and rides for them to go on.

* Children's Museum of Art - it's in the city, but it's a huge place just for kids and it can keep her entertained for hours.  It's also about 2 blocks from the Hudson River, so you and her can have a nice walk along the river.

* Le Play Cafe - all you do is pay for your DD, but it's a play place in Bellmore and she can spend hours playing while you sit and relax.  Also similar is Once Upon a Treetop in Plainview.

* Eisenhower Park - they actually just built a new playground for the kids there

Quoting maddiemommy2009:

I did call there they say I have to wait for the july august classes . I took her to the farm carnival she enjoyed it . As long as I have an address and google lol I'll take her anywhere ooo and money lol

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

maddiemommy2009
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Thanks a lot corpcity

I'm def gonna try those place out

So im guessing u r a new york city mommy ?

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

* NYSC - they actually hold swimming classes.  I know the one in Long Beach definitely holds swimming classes for kids.

For places to go...

* LICM - again right by Roosevelt Field Mall.  I take DD there sometimes on really hot days.

* Alley Pond - they have programs and the park of course.  I have a friend who takes her DD there all the time.

* White Post Farms - it's out by Melville, so it's further but it's so much fun.  DD loves it there and there are animals and rides for them to go on.

* Children's Museum of Art - it's in the city, but it's a huge place just for kids and it can keep her entertained for hours.  It's also about 2 blocks from the Hudson River, so you and her can have a nice walk along the river.

* Le Play Cafe - all you do is pay for your DD, but it's a play place in Bellmore and she can spend hours playing while you sit and relax.  Also similar is Once Upon a Treetop in Plainview.

* Eisenhower Park - they actually just built a new playground for the kids there

Quoting maddiemommy2009:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

LOL!  Yes.  I live in Queens, work in the city and from LI so I pretty much cover the whole area!  LOL!

Where are you?

I actually like heading out to the Island when it's nice because there are tons of things to do.  If the hurricane hadn't destroyed the boardwalk, I would totally suggest the Long Beach boardwalk.  I used to take DD there all the time to just walk and hang out. 

Quoting maddiemommy2009:

Thanks a lot corpcity

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

For places to go...

Quoting maddiemommy2009:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

maddiemommy2009
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I'm in between briarwood/jamaica queens

I told myself I'm gonna start doing that with her this summer just hop on a train or bus and take her everywhere lol she loves doing anything once shes out and about .

How old is ur dd?

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

LOL!  Yes.  I live in Queens, work in the city and from LI so I pretty much cover the whole area!  LOL!

Where are you?

I actually like heading out to the Island when it's nice because there are tons of things to do.  If the hurricane hadn't destroyed the boardwalk, I would totally suggest the Long Beach boardwalk.  I used to take DD there all the time to just walk and hang out. 

Quoting maddiemommy2009:

Thanks a lot corpcity

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

For places to go...

Quoting maddiemommy2009:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Ok.  I'm in Flushing.

DD is 2 1/2.  How old is your DD?

I have yet to take her on the train.  She loves trains, but have only really been recently confident in taking her.  I was always afraid that she would throw a tantrum and would hate to be that mom on the train with the screaming child. :/

I would definitely take her everywhere!  It's fun to explore and my take on it is that they are being raised in a pretty unique environment because of the proximity to NYC but also in the opposite direction, there are beaches and parks and all that fun stuff, so as parents we should take advantage.  I tell people that looking back, it was great growing up here because we grew up with the MET and the Museum of Natural History and Broadway and Central Park and all of that, as well as, beaches and parks and farms and suburban living - most of this kids won't ever see or visit as an adult. 

Quoting maddiemommy2009:

I'm in between briarwood/jamaica queens

I told myself I'm gonna start doing that with her this summer just hop on a train or bus and take her everywhere lol she loves doing anything once shes out and about .

How old is ur dd?

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Where are you?

Quoting maddiemommy2009:

Thanks a lot corpcity

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

For places to go...

Quoting maddiemommy2009:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

elwalters77
by Erica on May. 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Sorry I am Upstate more, our Towns offer them here through Parks and Recreation (for a fee), in addition to the YMCA, and I think one of the gym's does... so maybe similar places by you?

Same here, but that's what I was thinking

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN