Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Screw the Zoo!

Posted by on May. 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM
  • 20 Replies
Went with W's preschool class today to the Rosamond Gifford Zoo in Syracuse.
Half the parking lot was under construction, as was the whole entrance area. Luckily I was one of the first ones there so I got to park close.
So then inside the zoo, in the outside part, most of that area to the left was under construction. There were no elephants out nor was there water in their pool...the bear exhibit was closed, they were renovating that as well.
so then I walked, pushing probably 60 pounds of kids in the double stroller (use your imagination to add the weight of the stroller, water bottles and the like) all through to the end...where I find I have to TURN AROUND as the construction workers have blocked off the exit.
W. T. F.
did I mention that I'm also 34 weeks pregnant?
Ugh. I was so sweaty and gross by the time I made it back.
and of course it was UPHILL for the last stretch.
Oh well. I shouldn't REALLY complain because W's school paid for us and the kids had fun.
but I just thought I'd warn you lovely ladies before you headed out there this summer.
call and ask about the construction!!!!!
by on May. 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
powow65
by Kim on May. 10, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Ouch. Very sorry to hear that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jillysmom
by Adele on May. 10, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Thats stinks

lish2127
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry it wasn't so much fun for you. I know that uphill hike can be tiring! Especially when pregnant.

Its been under construction all winter, but they've really been working hard now that the weather is nicer. I look forward to the updates. they also have a construction update page on their website to tell you what's closed off and such. they rarely have elephants in the old exhibit anymore....only for special elephant shows, but they do an elephant demonstratrion every day at the new elephant overlook seating area  at 2:00 or  3:00 can't remember. The animals are always more active in the afternoon when it's feeding time.

Kmary
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2013 at 9:17 PM

It's been under construction for some time, but since watching the guys work construction is pretty much my boys' favorite "exhibit" there, we still go :-) 

That would be tricky that pregnant.  I'm 35 weeks pregnant now and have been staying away from the zoo for now for those reasons.  Looking forward to seeing it when it's finished!

elwalters77
by Erica on May. 10, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Bummer

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on May. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

You saw the old elephant exhibit, the elephants are now out on the trail past the bears (which you can access if you go our the loop past the monekys) there is still a point where it loops and you don't ahve to go all the way back around. 

We will have to meet up there over the summer :)

Kimmiky
by Kimmiky on May. 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM
It's just been like, in the last 5 years since I became a mom we walk in and there are the elephants. And I was so looking foward to taking my E cause she really likes them and thought she'd get really excited. But they were so far away and she's too young.

Quoting lish2127:

Sorry it wasn't so much fun for you. I know that uphill hike can be tiring! Especially when pregnant.

Its been under construction all winter, but they've really been working hard now that the weather is nicer. I look forward to the updates. they also have a construction update page on their website to tell you what's closed off and such. they rarely have elephants in the old exhibit anymore....only for special elephant shows, but they do an elephant demonstratrion every day at the new elephant overlook seating area  at 2:00 or  3:00 can't remember. The animals are always more active in the afternoon when it's feeding time.

Kimmiky
by Kimmiky on May. 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I did see more elephants on the way back through.
Maybe on a different day we could have completed the loop but on the day we went it was completely closed off.
That would be fun to meet up there.
I don't know if I'd be able to do all four of mine by myself and my L was devastated I wouldn't let her skip school to go with us.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

You saw the old elephant exhibit, the elephants are now out on the trail past the bears (which you can access if you go our the loop past the monekys) there is still a point where it loops and you don't ahve to go all the way back around. 

Kimmiky
by Kimmiky on May. 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM
I heard someone else commenting that their kids liked all the tractors more than the animals. Lol.
not so much in my case though.
On my way back, as I'm trying to struggle gracefully back up the hill I'm thinking yo myself, "If this puts me into labor, at least I'll be at the maternity ward!" ( cause that building is the elephant birthing center. Which I don't know why ANYONE would want to see but whatever)

Quoting Kmary:

It's been under construction for some time, but since watching the guys work construction is pretty much my boys' favorite "exhibit" there, we still go :-) 

That would be tricky that pregnant.  I'm 35 weeks pregnant now and have been staying away from the zoo for now for those reasons.  Looking forward to seeing it when it's finished!

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on May. 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I travel with a 17, 13 and 10 yr olds who are GREAT with people that aren't their siblings.... we can manage :)

Quoting Kimmiky:

I did see more elephants on the way back through.
Maybe on a different day we could have completed the loop but on the day we went it was completely closed off.
That would be fun to meet up there.
I don't know if I'd be able to do all four of mine by myself and my L was devastated I wouldn't let her skip school to go with us.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN