Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if you found a large amount of money?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 4 Replies

10-Year-Old Boy Finds $10,000 in Hotel Room & Makes Us Want to Open the Drawers More Often

by Julie Ryan Evans

moneyI've stayed in a fair amount of hotels in my life, but aside from a few week-long vacations when I've actually unpacked my suitcase, I never really open the drawers of the dressers or nightstands. I may start, however, after hearing about Tyler Schaefer, a 10-year-old who recently found $10,000 in a drawer at a Kansas City hotel

His dad, Cody Schaefer, told the Associated Press that Tyler is a Cub Scout and likes to hunt for treasures. And boy, what a treasure he found. He pulled open a drawer, and there he founds stacks of cold hard cash. "I found money!" he said. 

After confirming the bills weren't fake, his father wasn't sure what to do at first, but he knew they couldn't keep it.

They found two off-duty policemen working at the hotel, and turned it over to them. Good for them. It would have been so easy I'm sure to just keep it, and no one would have probably ever known. But what a great lesson this dad taught his son about honesty and doing the right thing, even when it's hard.

And  I bet it was really hard for Tyler. Every kid dreams of coming into huge sums of money, and all of the amazing things they'd do with it. So to actually get the money and then have to give it away was painful I'm sure.

Right now the money is being held by the police. The good news is that there's a chance the Schaefers could get to keep the money. It's a bit of a long shot, but if no one claims it (and can prove ownership) after seven months, then the money could go them. The owner still has another year after that to claim it from the finder, but assuming the money has shady origins (which I'm totally assuming it does, aren't you?) then maybe no one will. If that's the case, then in less than two years, the finders really could be keepers.

What would you do if you found a large amount of money? And, just because I'm curious, do you open the hotel drawers?

Image via Daniel Borman/Flickr

by on May. 31, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on May. 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM

my kids open drawers and doors in hotels, I can't figure out what they expect to find. My 5 yr old was shocked the mini fridge was empty at our last Holiday Inn Express.....

What would I do? Call the PD, and have it turned over with a proper report

elwalters77
by Erica on May. 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM
I'd call the police and turn it in! It's. it like someone dropped a $20! That amount of cash is likely drug money.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Id turn it in as well... Moments like that are "pillow" moments.. Id never rest my head soundly on a pillow If I took that money.. Lol... 

I do check hotel drawers. Have only found 1 thing in all these years. A vibrator in a hotel drawer in key west. Gross! Yes, i called front desk and had someone else touch and remove. Only the good Lord knows where that had been. Lol

i do hope that little boy gets to keep it. 9900 should go into a college fund.. And 100 could go for a fun treat for the kid! 

powow65
by Kim on May. 31, 2013 at 8:16 PM
I'm not gonna answer b/c in my head the answer would be (keep some but give 1/2 to the cops.)
I know sounds horrible!

2nights ago I went to "TOPS" (at the solvay store) & had a bunch of people both at the store & people driving out begged me to take a "pink purse" & I told them "not mine sorry."
& that night I prayed to my grandparents "something good will come out from this for me right?!"
......... 2daum days later welfare saying "go f' your self! & have fun being homeless soon!"
Smfh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)