Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Avacado's

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

best way to store?

I used some in my salad but I can't begin to eat a whole one by myself.... right now the rest is somewhat diced in a ziplock conatiner, but I am wondering if I should just make guac with it. 

Then I have my whole one in the fridge wonderign if I should counter it.

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Ive always heard if you only eat half.. dont dice and keep the pit in the half you dont use in pasltic baggie. Store unopened ripe avacados in fridge crisper drawer to prolong life. Store on countertop in sunny window until soft but firm- then put in fridge.
To know when ripe (aside from squeezing it and it being soft but firm) take the "nub" off the top of the avacado. If it is bright lime greeen, it is good to eat.
Slice in 1/2 around pit. Slam knife into pit, then use tork to remove pit (unless saving half- then pull 1/2 away from pit) cut into 4 quarters with skin on- then peel skin away (should peel easily in in right direction if avacado is ripe) then use quarters cute any way you like

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Thank you Scarlett. 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM

You may want to check my facts... at this point, its all hearsay. LOL.. but its worked for me.
I usually buy about 4-5 a week. LOVE them.. so good on a light english muffin with slices of tomato and garlic hummus... my favorite lunch....

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Thank you Scarlett. 

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I've never had to store an opened avacado as we all eat it. Giuliana eats a whole one herself!
As for unopened, yes, letg it ripen on counter and fridge when ripe if you're not ready to eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)