Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Cafemom moment

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 9 Replies

This morning I had what I can only describe as a "cafemom moment" because until today, CM was the only place I'd really heard of this sort of thing happening...

Met my mom at Panera with my 3 kids.  My boys, by all accounts, behaved just fine (they're 3 and 5).  They helped my mom carry everything to our table as I had to nurse Nora immediately when we got there.  They sat and ate and then drew some pictures.  They were occasionally a bit loud, but not running all over or anything like that.  We were getting ourselves ready to leave and as I buckled the baby in her carrier, my overly friendly boys decided to say hello and tell their names to the man sitting right next to us.  That is literally all they did...said, "Hi, I'm Garrick!"  "Hi, I'm Liam!"  The man then stood up, got in my face and yelled, "Are these your children?  CONTAIN THEM IMMEDIATELY!"

This is a small town.  I go to that Panera basically every week and I knew or was acquantances with almost half the patrons there.  It was soooooo embarassing.  I was kind of shaking in anger, but decided to just roll my eyes instead of shouting back.  In the end, I have to kind of feel bad for a person who is so miserable and grumpy that two children saying hello to him evokes that sort of reaction.

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

he had something crawl up his @$$ and die

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:16 AM
2 moms liked this

What an idiot. I probably would have responded with something like "You think this is uncontained?!"

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
You handled tit well. Probably better than I would have. First of all, contain them???? Are they prisoners? Objects? What??
He's just a miserable old man. But I certanly wouldn't be embarrassed, if anything He should be embarrassed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow! Holy grouch batman! That is rude! Really rude! Im so sorry. I hope their feelings werent hurt! I hope theyndidnt cry! I mean, I would have cried when I was little if a man yelled like that! Wow! Some People stink! 

All I can think is he is probably married to the overly nice woman at whole foods yesterday who would NOT leave Sam alone, "My arent you handsome? What is your name?" .. To which Sam grumbles miserablely, "sam"... Well, Sam, that is a lovely name. How old are you Sam?"... 6. "oh, I thought you were younger, my grandson is 4 and he is your size. he is a big boy i guess. his name is michael... Then a 3 minute description of Michale and everything michael likes to play...ill bet youd like to play with Michael..."

Sam looks at me, rolls his eyes and says.. "Can we go now?".... 

Ugh, whats up with old people.. They are either grumpy or sticky sweet?! 

Lol

Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Some people are just so miserable and take it out on anyone, but your poor kids! I would have been highly mad. You handled your self great. I don't know that I could have.

Kmary
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Haha yes if only they could find a happy medium!

But no, his wife is as miserable as he is.  The're quite a pair.  My mom is a bank teller in our town and apparently he and his wife go in there regularly and are generally very rude to all the tellers and bank employees.  Guess it's kind of their schtick--being rude and miserable every day to everyone.  Seems like an exhausting way to live!

Quoting SamMom912:

Wow! Holy grouch batman! That is rude! Really rude! Im so sorry. I hope their feelings werent hurt! I hope theyndidnt cry! I mean, I would have cried when I was little if a man yelled like that! Wow! Some People stink! 

All I can think is he is probably married to the overly nice woman at whole foods yesterday who would NOT leave Sam alone, "My arent you handsome? What is your name?" .. To which Sam grumbles miserablely, "sam"... Well, Sam, that is a lovely name. How old are you Sam?"... 6. "oh, I thought you were younger, my grandson is 4 and he is your size. he is a big boy i guess. his name is michael... Then a 3 minute description of Michale and everything michael likes to play...ill bet youd like to play with Michael..."

Lol

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM
It does seem like an exhausting way to live and I can't help bt wonder why anyone could be so miserable. I look at it like this, yes we all have bad days. But, why be miserable? It takes so much energy to be miserable and realy, what do any of us have to be miserable about??
We are alive. He have family and friends and health. A roof over our head, food, clothes, so what in this world do any of us have to be so miserable over. Now granted not everyone is healthy, but he was healthy enough to walk into panera and sit down and eat. So he's not too bad off.
Maybe we should all pity people like that since they don't know how to be happy or nice.

Quoting Kmary:

Haha yes if only they could find a happy medium!

But no, his wife is as miserable as he is.  The're quite a pair.  My mom is a bank teller in our town and apparently he and his wife go in there regularly and are generally very rude to all the tellers and bank employees.  Guess it's kind of their schtick--being rude and miserable every day to everyone.  Seems like an exhausting way to live!

Quoting SamMom912:

Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jillysmom
by Adele on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:31 AM

How sad, grupmy ass

Emschick38
by Ali on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have wanted to throw jelly beans at him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN