• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Now that's a zucchini (cukes too)

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I went to my local farmers market (poorly named it was more "stuff" than produce)

for the sake of size, I have 6" tiles with 1/4" grout in between. 

$1 for the zucchini and 3/$1 for the cukes... and yes, I picked as close to the biggest as I could

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lish2127
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I like the big ones for zucchini bread or other zucchini recipes, but I like the small ones better for just cooking up and eating.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I need some cucumbers
Wyldbutterfly
by Snow Bunny on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:54 PM
I miss my garden thus year:(
Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Those are nice veggies! and lish reminded me I haven't made any zucchini bread this yr and the kids love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lish2127
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I just made some with zucchini, carrots, banana, and then a cup of yogurt instead of the cup of oil it called for. The kids loved it.

Quoting Cecelia712:

Those are nice veggies! and lish reminded me I haven't made any zucchini bread this yr and the kids love it.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Sounds ymmy!

Quoting lish2127:

I just made some with zucchini, carrots, banana, and then a cup of yogurt instead of the cup of oil it called for. The kids loved it.

Quoting Cecelia712:

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I've used yogurt or fat free sour cream in place of oil also. I have seen a recipe using cottage cheese, but personally cottage cheese grosses me out so I never tried.

Quoting lish2127:

Quoting Cecelia712:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lish2127
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I had never done it before, but the bread turned out really moist and yummy. I had run out of vanilla extract but had plain vanilla yogurt so it worked out well.  I usually use 1/2 applesauce-1/2 oil, but didn't have any on hand. Finally after about 8 years of having too much homemade applesauce in our pantry. I've also used jarred baby food applesauce, bananas, pears, etc in bread and pancakes before to use it up, plus some baby cereal in place of some of the flour.

Quoting Cecelia712:

I've used yogurt or fat free sour cream in place of oil also. I have seen a recipe using cottage cheese, but personally cottage cheese grosses me out so I never tried.

Quoting lish2127:

Quoting Cecelia712:

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I've used applesauce in place of oil, which is my favorite substitute.... 

suetoo
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I'm going to shred 4 huge zuchs and freeze 2 cup portions for mid winter yummies. I'm going to make zucchini brownies for a family picnic tomorrow. Yum!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)