Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Its for college

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 17 Replies

So for Sam's birthday he got a card from his Aunt in Pennsylvania.
He has yet to open it...(after several.. you should open Aunties card) so just now, I opened it.
Inside was a check for 300 for college.
This is what his aunt has given him every year along with a little gift. This year she isnt coming to his family get together (as its a 3 hour drive) but I dont know if I should tell him that Aunt gave him $300.. if I should just say Aunt gave him money for college... and leave it at that.
Im afraid if I give him the check, he will THINK he can go and buy an X box or something stupid with that money...and I dont want to get into college/ savings/ etc discussion.

Is it bad just to say in passing " Auntie gave you money. Am gonna put it in your account...and aviod the total she gave..."

He has also recieved misc cash from other relatives totalling 125. so Im thinking if he wants something, he can spend that... (not enough for an x box...) can you tell I dont want an x box. LOL

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this

No it's not bad to say "Aunt Beatrice sent you money for your college fund. How sweet of her." 

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Sep. 19, 2013 at 5:56 PM
That's what I would say.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

No it's not bad to say "Aunt Beatrice sent you money for your college fund. How sweet of her." 

myloveynK
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I would just say it in passing (like between 2 other sentences he wouldn't really pay attention to)! My son is the same way! He has been going with me to the bank to put 1/2 his allowance in there and he saw the balance, now he's on this kick that he has x amount of money to spend and looks up on the internet for things he wants! 

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't tell him the amount either. Just say she sent money, if he asks, say don't remember.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I don't see anything wrong with how you've proposed saying it.  He's got a bunch of other birthday money it sounds like, so he should have fun spending that.

Seems like I've been MIA from CM for a bit.  I think having my oldest start Kindergarten this month has been just as tiring for me as it has been for him! 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Good to hear from you! Hows the baby! How is k going? 

Quoting Kmary:

I don't see anything wrong with how you've proposed saying it.  He's got a bunch of other birthday money it sounds like, so he should have fun spending that.

Seems like I've been MIA from CM for a bit.  I think having my oldest start Kindergarten this month has been just as tiring for me as it has been for him! 

Kmary
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Nora is great!  She's 3 months old today and is seriously the easiest, happiest baby ever.  She sleeps 12 hours straight at night.  I'm pretty spoiled.  Her baptism is this weekend.  Having a brunch at our house afterwards with family.  Looking forward to it!

Kindergarten is getting mixed reviews.  Garrick likes it very much, but the day is awfully long for him.  He has said to me multiple times now, "I like school.  I just wish I could go for part of the day."  Me too, kid.  Me too.  I'm one of the few weirdos left in the world who wishes we still had half day Kinder.  Oh well.  I'm confident he'll get in the swing of things and accept that K is all day soon. 

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting Kmary:

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Funny, Sam is having difficulty with school and I too was wishing for the simple days of walking home for lunch like we did when I was a kid,,, 1/2 day K and lunch at home thru 3rd grade (when we moved and I took the bus!) how great that would be for Sam! It is a LONG fay for the little guys! glad Garrick at keast likes it! 

Thats sooo super great Nora is so easy! You are soooo lucky! Quick knock on some wood nearby... Youve probably jinxed yourself tonight... Lol

Quoting Kmary:

Nora is great!  She's 3 months old today and is seriously the easiest, happiest baby ever.  She sleeps 12 hours straight at night.  I'm pretty spoiled.  Her baptism is this weekend.  Having a brunch at our house afterwards with family.  Looking forward to it!

Kindergarten is getting mixed reviews.  Garrick likes it very much, but the day is awfully long for him.  He has said to me multiple times now, "I like school.  I just wish I could go for part of the day."  Me too, kid.  Me too.  I'm one of the few weirdos left in the world who wishes we still had half day Kinder.  Oh well.  I'm confident he'll get in the swing of things and accept that K is all day soon. 

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting Kmary:

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Awe, sleeps at night? What is the secret?

Glad Garrick is enjoying school. We still have 1/2 day kinder, and what the state wants done: 90 min of reading, 30 min writing, 50 min. math... and then 30 min "special area" time..... we don't have the time in the day that the state wants. 

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting Kmary:

Kmary
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Ha I think the "secret" is dumb luck!  I did the same things with my older two (put them on their bellies, used fan for white noise, etc) and they didn't sleep anywhere near that long at 3 months old.

Yes, I know all about the state requirements and Common Core worries.  I'd rather see those requirements changed before changing Kinder from half to full day.  I just truly believe to my core that for the majority of 5 year olds....and even some 6, 7, 8+ year olds that the school day is too long.  Or maybe recess is too short.  Either way, less unstructured time is the opposite of what we should be giving kids that age if we want them to effectively learn and retain.  Decades of educational research backs that up, but the people who make these decisions don't want to be bothered by silly things like facts and evidence.  LOL

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Awe, sleeps at night? What is the secret?

Glad Garrick is enjoying school. We still have 1/2 day kinder, and what the state wants done: 90 min of reading, 30 min writing, 50 min. math... and then 30 min "special area" time..... we don't have the time in the day that the state wants. 

Quoting SamMom912:

Quoting Kmary:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)