Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Winter coats

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM
  • 12 Replies

Am I the only one that thinks the price of winter coats, snowpants, and boots are just RIDICULOUS?! 

I know for a fact that I paid half of some of these prices just a couple years ago. It doesn't help that we're now borderline big boy size 8. That adds like $20 onto the same freakin size 7 coat.

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Yeah.. And it sucks we need them to be warm,,, florida must be nice for thosr reasons... And more, right? Lol

i especially hate boots... 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM

It drives me batty too.... 
Lish, there are a couple of groups on Facebook for kids clothing in our area. I just got CJ a Columbia jacket for $5.
I can look and see what I have that might fit Dylan. I think I gave away Carly's old coat. I can put my feelers out if you want me to.  

lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM
I've been pretty lucky, I find some really great sales. I bought Hannah a coat and snow pants set for 15 at Burlington's. A friend of mine has a boy and girl one size above Lily and Xavier that gives me their old coat.
Bethy16
by Beth on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I have been very lucky with sales for coats. I got my son a winter coat and snow pants at Costco. They were $20 for the coat and $15 for the pants. The boots kill me. I don't mind spending it on a coat they wear them every day. But aside from a few storms here on LI we don't need the boots more then a few times a year. Hate spending money on them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lish2127
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Yes those are the prices I'm used to paying as well, but right now JCP, Old Navy, Kohls, Sears, etc the prices are just so high. I realize it's early in the season and they probably aren't having super sales yet, but still. All the basic coats I'd expect to pay $20-30 for are over $40-50 some up to 89.99 for basic coats ON SALE right now. I normally buy them used coats, snowpants, and boots at garage sales, at least for play, but didn't find much this year.

lish2127
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Dylan has a basic winter coat I got at a garage sale pretty much free (fill a bag for $5) and his snowpants were too big last year so they still fit...until I find something better. He has boots too. Lucy has a winter coat, not super warm but it will work until I find something better. I have a pair of snowpants for her too although they don't match the coat at all. I have nothing for Addie yet. I've got my mom on the lookout for good deals too.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

It drives me batty too.... 
Lish, there are a couple of groups on Facebook for kids clothing in our area. I just got CJ a Columbia jacket for $5.
I can look and see what I have that might fit Dylan. I think I gave away Carly's old coat. I can put my feelers out if you want me to.  

powow65
by Kim on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Ouch.
I'm scared to look at new winter boots for myself.
(gulp!)

I hope you can find some sales soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually shop Lands End, LLBean and REI at the end of the season for winter coats.. Next size up. So these are typically 80-100 coats for 25-30 dollars... Along with pants at 15- 20 instead of 70...

I will say for all the time Sam spends outside ( NONE he doesnt really like the cold/snow) from warm house, into car (garaged) straight into school..., straight into car.. Into garage.. He doesnt REALLY need a coat. Lol 

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM
I bought the kids their coats at the end of the season last year from LL Bean.
But i also bought Giuliana and G a Coat and snow pants for a total of $28 last year, so everything was on sale for $7 each at JCPENNEY
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:39 AM
I Realize That doesn't help you now, but keep that in mind for the end of this season if you can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)