Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Ugh, school lunch

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 9:45 AM
Liz
  • 13 Replies

To make life easier for my MIL last week, I gave Naiya a $15 check for school lunch while I was gone.

For some reason, it was never cashed/applied to her account so she is $8 in the negative and was only able to receive a cheese sandwich on Friday.

She swears she put it in the "Kitchen" folder outside her classroom to be collected by a teacher and sent to the office.

Ugh.

I don't want to stop the check because the fee will be more than the check is worth!

by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovegrandbaby
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I hear ya - It usually takes our school forever to apply and cash checks.  It's bad enough my ds gets 20 minutes total for lunch period, but the cost of lunches compared to what they get is ridiculous and we do not qualify for free/reduced lunch.  It's crazy, one year they say we are, the next we aren't...and then they tell ds that he can only have one lunch - wth - I pay full price, so what difference does it make to them how much he gets.  I would call and tell them that she put it in the folder, and that they will have to wait for it to clear.  Poor kid, I think it's terrible when they do something like that to a child.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 19, 2014 at 12:12 PM

I gave my son a check the same day but I guess since he's in high school and hands it directly to the lunch worker...it all went well. Naiya's got caught somewhere in a clerical error.

Quoting lovegrandbaby:

I hear ya - It usually takes our school forever to apply and cash checks.  It's bad enough my ds gets 20 minutes total for lunch period, but the cost of lunches compared to what they get is ridiculous and we do not qualify for free/reduced lunch.  It's crazy, one year they say we are, the next we aren't...and then they tell ds that he can only have one lunch - wth - I pay full price, so what difference does it make to them how much he gets.  I would call and tell them that she put it in the folder, and that they will have to wait for it to clear.  Poor kid, I think it's terrible when they do something like that to a child.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Not sure how it works at our school, Nicholas doesn't buy lunch. But it used to be you paid daily at lunch time. But that could have changed.
I hope they straighten it out for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coleysmama
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I love that we pay online now. Hated when i paid by check and the kids would forget to hand it in, then it had to go from the teacher to the office, to the lunch director. It would take days.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:51 PM
We have the option to pay online too. We can use myschoolbucks.com but I realized that, over the course of three years, I've paid over $200 in "convenience" fees.

Quoting coleysmama:

I love that we pay online now. Hated when i paid by check and the kids would forget to hand it in, then it had to go from the teacher to the office, to the lunch director. It would take days.

Kmary
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 8:15 AM

We have all sorts of options:  cash, check, myschoolbucks online system, etc.  I've done all 3 ways and am happy I've never had an issue so far.  As silly as it sounds, the whole lunch money thing was one of the hardest things for me to comprehend when my oldest started Kindergarten this year.  Because students no longer physically hand money to a lunch lady ever (even when you send cash, the teacher takes care of it and it's added to your kid's account) my son thought everything in the cafeteria was free.  After all, he never saw any money.   Uh no, kid, that stuff costs money.  LOL 

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Thats what you get for making things "easy"... Damnit! 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I send in a check for each of the kids (usually their own as they are in 3 different schools). 
Alex, CJ and Garrett will take theirs right to the cafeteria. Turn them in.
Carly has a TA in her room that collects lunch money, checks etc... and takes them down to be applied to the accounts.
I would call or email the main office. Let them know that there might be a $15 check floating around the building.

I know last year, Carly had $20 cash applied to her account on a day I had her. I called, but they wouldn't subtract it. They had no way of knowing where it needed to go. 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Quoting coleysmama:

We have Schoolbucks also (loved my nutrikids), and I don't do it online. $1.50 fee, yes I could pay all 4 kids at once for teh $1.50... but it adds up.

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I emailed the teacher. I never had a problem when I gave her cash for a day here or there but when I give her a check for a whole week...it goes missing. Of course.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

I send in a check for each of the kids (usually their own as they are in 3 different schools). 
Alex, CJ and Garrett will take theirs right to the cafeteria. Turn them in.
Carly has a TA in her room that collects lunch money, checks etc... and takes them down to be applied to the accounts.
I would call or email the main office. Let them know that there might be a $15 check floating around the building.

I know last year, Carly had $20 cash applied to her account on a day I had her. I called, but they wouldn't subtract it. They had no way of knowing where it needed to go. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)