Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heart pains

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:44 PM
Liz
  • 12 Replies

Nathanael came down to me earlier asking me to make an doctor's appointment. He says that, for quite some time, he's been having "heart pains." They hadn't been constant and there didn't seem to be any reason (they weren't always occuring after strenuous exercise). They were so infrequent that he didn't even think to mention them at his physical last year.

However, they've happened several times over the past three consecutive days and now it has him a little concerned.

Calling the doctor tomorrow morning.

ETA: When I asked him to describe what happens this is what he says:

They can happen randomly. And will feel like either someone is squeezing or pulling my heart, or if they're more severe it'll feel more like its being stabbed or something. They can last three minutes. Ten minutes. Twenty minutes. One minute. Varies. Shortness of breath occasionally. In addition to happening randomly they also noticeably start if my heart rate gets higher for any of varying reasons. Such as being nervous or running around or being angry or anxious.

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Call tomorrow.... 
More than likely the GP/PEd won't be able to do anything. Other than refer him out to a cardiologist.
A holster (sp) monitor might not be a bad idea for a couple of days so they can monitor his rhythm over a period of time and make sure there are no changes. THe likely hood of them doing that is slim, unless there is family history.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck! I hope everything is ok. Let us know
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Keep us posted. Too scary. 

Ricanmami88
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:28 PM
I've felt that before, I'd he concerned too.
suetoo
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Absolutely vital he gets checked out! Glad he spoke up! 

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Mar. 13, 2014 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

His doctor doesn't normally see patients on Thursdays but he's making an exception. I have to pick him up after school and bring him to the doctor.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Call tomorrow.... More than likely the GP/PEd won't be able to do anything. Other than refer him out to a cardiologist. A holster (sp) monitor might not be a bad idea for a couple of days so they can monitor his rhythm over a period of time and make sure there are no changes. THe likely hood of them doing that is slim, unless there is family history.

lish2127
by Platinum Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Hopefully they can figure it out quickly. Keep us posted.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 5:17 PM

So any info? Been thinking of you... 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Mar. 16, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Quoting SamMom912:

ditto

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM
3 moms liked this

Oh sorry! Yes, the doctor is 98% sure that's it's not heart related, just muscular. He said it's not uncommon and that it should go away on it's own. He gave us the name of a cardiologist just to bring that percentage up to 100%.

Quoting SamMom912:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)