Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

HORSE lost in Mahwah, NJ ***FOUND***

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM
  • 7 Replies

. " "CHIEF" escaped from his barn in Mahwah on Rt 202 near Oakland border on Saturday afternoon & was running north up towards Ramapo College heading towards Mason Jar direction..he's friendly, but may be scared..His prints were spotted up by the pipeline on Staghill late Saturday...so he could be anywhere at this point.If you have heard of ANY sightings, PLEASE notify : Mahwah Police: (201) 529-1000 ASAP. Time is of the essence. THANK YOU. "

"GREAT NEWS TODAY!!! I just received word from the owners of "Chief" that he has been located today. He is now safe! A HUGE THANK YOU to ALL who donated a lot of time looking for Chief in the woods. The owners are truly grateful."
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
suetoo
by Sue on Mar. 18, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Prayers your way, our horse Traveler, did the same thing. We think he just opened the stable door with his nose. Two strangers stopped to grab him but he wouldn't let them. Town cop called us at 6am. Daughter and Grampa grabbed a rope and headed to town. They spotted him about 3/4  mile in a field. Dd yelled his name and that old poop of a horse ran, Ran! Right to her. And he never ran anywhere, barn sour that he was. Keep us posted, 

hugs

gypsyme1
by New Member on Mar. 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Where in Oakland is the barn?  I live in Ringwood (work in franklin lakes)....any way I can help?

-Sue

bergencounty
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Oakland family searching for missing horse, Chief

March 20, 2014, 11:25 AM Last updated: Thursday, March 20, 2014, 11:26 AM

An Oakland family is searching for its horse, Chief, after he bolted Saturday afternoon from a farm in Mahwah.

He slipped on ice around 2 p.m. Saturday with a rider on his back and when the rider jumped off to avoid being crushed by the horse, Chief took off, according to its owner, Denise Vulgaris. After spending most of the winter in the barn, the horse seemed to be enjoying Saturday’s spring-like weather.

Makenzie Vulgaris, 15, of Oakland, with her horse Chief.
Courtesy of the Vulgaris family.
Makenzie Vulgaris, 15, of Oakland, with her horse Chief.

“I’m like in total shock that he just kept going,” she said. “Either something spooked him or he’s like ‘yay, I’m not in my stall.’ ”

Chief is a dark brown and white Paint Horse between 15 and 20 years old. He weighs about 1,250 pounds.

As of Thursday morning, there hadn’t been any sightings, despite several search parties combing the area on foot, horseback, all-terrain vehicles and plane. They’ve searched the Ramapo Valley County Reservation in Mahwah, the New Jersey Botanical Garden in Ringwood and local barns up and down Route 202, Vulgaris said. Her husband found a stirrup, so they believe Chief may not be wearing his saddle anymore.

Vulgaris and her family bought Chief in September for her 15-year-old daughter, Makenzie, for $650. Vulgaris said that if her family hadn’t purchased him, he would have been sent to a slaughterhouse.

“My daughter’s been wanting a horse since she was 5,” Vulgaris said. “Everything was just horse, horse, horse, horse, horse.”

Vulgaris said psychics reached out to her and believe Chief is scared and hiding in barns within a four-mile radius. He wants to come home, the psychics told her. “At this point, I will take anything,” she said.

Call the Mahwah Police Department with any leads on Chief’s whereabouts at 201-529-1000.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/oakland-family-searching-for-missing-horse-chief-1.746731#sthash.VNu41rAH.dpuf

bergencounty
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 2:51 PM

They found him up in Stag Hill today

Quoting gypsyme1:

Where in Oakland is the barn?  I live in Ringwood (work in franklin lakes)....any way I can help?

-Sue

suetoo
by Sue on Mar. 24, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Thanks for the update! Glad he's home!

bergencounty
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 5:05 PM

You're welcome  ... Didnt travel too far.  http://www.northjersey.com/news/horse-missing-from-mahwah-is-found-1.750307

Quoting suetoo: Thanks for the update! Glad he's home!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)