Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

Lactose intolerance?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Liz
  • 6 Replies

Can a child develop lactose intolerance suddenly?

I ask because Nadir has been having on and off stomach pains for the past two days. Trying to piece it together, the pains started sometime after drinking milk. Tuesday night, he had milk and then woke up around 1:00 with pains and was up until 4:30. Yesterday he was fine until around 5:00 but that was sometime after he had had some milk. The pains last for a few hours but he was fine beginning 8:30 or so and he didn't drink anything until this morning when had some more milk and the pains started around 10:00. They lasted for a couple of hours and then when he was ready for a drink he had some juice. He was fine for the rest of the day  until he had some hot chocolate. Pains started up again but this time I had some kids pepto on hand and he ate that and now he's fine. I'm not going to let him have any more milk and see what happens.

by on Mar. 20, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Kmary
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM
3 moms liked this

I believe that it actually can.  I'm not lactose intolerant, but from what I've understood, it's super rare (not unheard of, but very rare) in infancy but then as people age, it becomes more and more common.  I'm not sure if it can come on quite that suddenly, but in general, yes it's possible.  I also learned a few months ago that people can suffer from temporary lactose intolerance following a stomach virus, food poisoning, etc.  I never knew that until recently when it happened to me for a couple weeks following the stomach bug.  It has since disappeared and I'm back to enjoying dairy with no issue.  Definitely I'd try what you're doing:  cut out dairy for a couple weeks or so and see what happens.  Good luck!

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Hope he feels better. 

aimesnyc
by Member on Mar. 20, 2014 at 8:29 PM
Is it happening with other dairy products? I ask because I only get stomach issues with milk. Turns out that organic milk does not cause the stomach issues for me. Worth a try if you don't already drink organic milk.
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:44 PM

YES they can.... 

Johnny was fine until he was 9 months old, kept being told to cut back on his juice (which he wouldn't drink). Once he turned a year old I couldn't get him to drink milk unless it was flavored. 
When he was 3 (yes) we decided to try a dairy free weekend.
He finally outgrew it at 15.

If you do find it is this....... hard cheese (extra sharp) are naturally lactose free, and some yougurts can still be had
https://www.yoplait.com/yoplait-in-action/dairy-and-digestion 

lizmarie1975
by Liz on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:11 PM

He was dairy free today and was fine...still a little off because he had a bad night (that cup of hot chocolate was rough!) BUT Nathanael came home early from school today saying his stomach was hurting.

Tomorrow, in the morning, I'm going to allow Nadir to have some dairy and see what happens.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

YES they can.... 

Johnny was fine until he was 9 months old, kept being told to cut back on his juice (which he wouldn't drink). Once he turned a year old I couldn't get him to drink milk unless it was flavored. When he was 3 (yes) we decided to try a dairy free weekend. He finally outgrew it at 15.

If you do find it is this....... hard cheese (extra sharp) are naturally lactose free, and some yougurts can still be had https://www.yoplait.com/yoplait-in-action/dairy-and-digestion 

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Giuliana had a 3 month phase where she couldn't tolerate dairy, i gave her almond milk during that time. Any dairy would constipate her terribly and give her very bad gas.
Thank goodness she outgrew that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN