Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New York Moms New York Moms

As a parent how would you feel.....

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:33 PM
  • 25 Replies

Last fall we went to a corn maze, that my kids loved! They actually had 4 types of mazes (corn, willow, christmas trees and a tall grass one for toddlers). Plus a zip line, peddle cars, farm animals for petting/feeding, swinging ropes/hay bales etc. 

Very reasonable at $5 per person, NO LIMITS on how often you go through the maze, or  down the zipline etc. 

They offer Birthday parties, $200 no limits..... just they will ask unruly people to leave. Although last fall she said we could do the $5 per person admission.

Downside it is about 45 minutes if you know the back way from where we live. 

The kids loved it so much, we thought about doing the kids friends Bithday down there (it's something DIFFERENT).... but I wasn't sure how open 2 and 3rd grade parents would be (for this the youngest two would be combined). I was thinking of including that parents/siblings are welcome and letting them know how much it would be for them.... we will pay for Birthday guest. 

So thoughts? Opinions?

by on Jul. 6, 2014 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lady-J-Rock
by Niki on Jul. 7, 2014 at 12:25 AM

eh around here 45 minutes is nothing. To get to the big shopping center with the mall it's 30 minutes. We've been invited to parties with an hour and a half drive most of the kids invited showed up.

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I think it sounds like an awesome party-- but I think it can get tricky on letting people know they can stay; but youre not paying for them... but its a hike to get there.. so its not like they could drop off and come back.
I think you will have to word it carefully in your invite to not be offensive and just be clear about who is invited to the party and whos admission you're paying for.

You could have food for all (drnkis, chips, dips, cake) so its not like you're being rude.. but, it could get tricky about the "paying". It will take some brainstorming.

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:43 AM
2 moms liked this
Id go simply because it sounds fun.
As for only paying for person invited, id simply state just that. That while the invited child is free there is an admission fee of $5.00 for all extra people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Quoting SamMom912:

I think it sounds like an awesome party-- but I think it can get tricky on letting people know they can stay; but youre not paying for them... but its a hike to get there.. so its not like they could drop off and come back. I think you will have to word it carefully in your invite to not be offensive and just be clear about who is invited to the party and whos admission you're paying for. You could have food for all (drnkis, chips, dips, cake) so its not like you're being rude.. but, it could get tricky about the "paying". It will take some brainstorming.

I have no problem getting snacks for a crowd. 
I just don't want people to think they have to drive and drop, and there is NO place to go and kill time. Plus there is no time limit. I though about offerign to drive kids, but I have maybe 3 seats in one truck, and I can get 6 to 7 in the other.  

SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM
Right... That's what I figured. So you'll need to word the invite as something clear - like just paying for the kid invited- snacks/cake for all.
Was even thinking maybe the invite could look like a ticket... Admit 1 for kids.. Or if you have siblings invited Admit 2... Then it's clear your paying for 1? Maybe. Just think it may get awkward if someone shows with siblings- and no money... :(

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting SamMom912:

I think it sounds like an awesome party-- but I think it can get tricky on letting people know they can stay; but youre not paying for them... but its a hike to get there.. so its not like they could drop off and come back. I think you will have to word it carefully in your invite to not be offensive and just be clear about who is invited to the party and whos admission you're paying for. You could have food for all (drnkis, chips, dips, cake) so its not like you're being rude.. but, it could get tricky about the "paying". It will take some brainstorming.

I have no problem getting snacks for a crowd. I just don't want people to think they have to drive and drop, and there is NO place to go and kill time. Plus there is no time limit. I though about offerign to drive kids, but I have maybe 3 seats in one truck, and I can get 6 to 7 in the other.  

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 11:53 AM
I find it amazing people are so rude. Id never show up with extra kids and expect them to be free. I can't imagine doing that!
So far Giuliana has always been invited along with G because all the parents know her as well, but otherwise id never bring her and expect her to be free.
I know people do i just don't understand their thinking.

Quoting SamMom912: Right... That's what I figured. So you'll need to word the invite as something clear - like just paying for the kid invited- snacks/cake for all.
Was even thinking maybe the invite could look like a ticket... Admit 1 for kids.. Or if you have siblings invited Admit 2... Then it's clear your paying for 1? Maybe. Just think it may get awkward if someone shows with siblings- and no money... :(

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting SamMom912:

I have no problem getting snacks for a crowd. I just don't want people to think they have to drive and drop, and there is NO place to go and kill time. Plus there is no time limit. I though about offerign to drive kids, but I have maybe 3 seats in one truck, and I can get 6 to 7 in the other.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I am no longer amazed by what people expect. 

Quoting Cecelia712: I find it amazing people are so rude. Id never show up with extra kids and expect them to be free. I can't imagine doing that! So far Giuliana has always been invited along with G because all the parents know her as well, but otherwise id never bring her and expect her to be free. I know people do i just don't understand their thinking.
Quoting SamMom912: Right... That's what I figured. So you'll need to word the invite as something clear - like just paying for the kid invited- snacks/cake for all. Was even thinking maybe the invite could look like a ticket... Admit 1 for kids.. Or if you have siblings invited Admit 2... Then it's clear your paying for 1? Maybe. Just think it may get awkward if someone shows with siblings- and no money... :(
Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting SamMom912:

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 12:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Good point. I know i shouldn't be amazed either, but I really am I would never do half the things that I know other people do

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Cecelia712: I find it amazing people are so rude. Id never show up with extra kids and expect them to be free. I can't imagine doing that!
So far Giuliana has always been invited along with G because all the parents know her as well, but otherwise id never bring her and expect her to be free.

Quoting SamMom912: Right... That's what I figured. So you'll need to word the invite as something clear - like just paying for the kid invited- snacks/cake for all.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting SamMom912:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh I know! Since I do so many invites: I hear stories from the party throwers about what some people do at parties! It's amazing!
I once was told a story of a guest taking home a present for their child! The DD got 2 of of a gift- and the mom of another girl said it was a "hard to find" item and took it for her dd... Didn't give the DD money or anything- just took the gift! Crazy!!!

Quoting Cecelia712: Good point. I know i shouldn't be amazed either, but I really am I would never do half the things that I know other people do

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Cecelia712: I find it amazing people are so rude. Id never show up with extra kids and expect them to be free. I can't imagine doing that!

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting SamMom912:

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. Id never even think to do that! And to not even offer $$ is beyond rude!

Quoting SamMom912: Oh I know! Since I do so many invites: I hear stories from the party throwers about what some people do at parties! It's amazing!
I once was told a story of a guest taking home a present for their child! The DD got 2 of of a gift- and the mom of another girl said it was a "hard to find" item and took it for her dd... Didn't give the DD money or anything- just took the gift! Crazy!!!

Quoting Cecelia712: Good point. I know i shouldn't be amazed either, but I really am I would never do half the things that I know other people do

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting SamMom912:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN