Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Here's a doozy...

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:50 AM
  • 5 Replies

Well I mostly only post about fluff, but now I have a legitimate situation that I'd like some perspective on.  Here goes:

There is a pedophile in my neighborhood.  We've lived here for 7+ years and never had an issue (he always really kept to himself) but this past summer he has started driving by our house at the same time every day, Monday through Friday.  First it was just flying by and sort of glancing at my kids.  Then it was driving by at a more reasonable speed and smiling at them.  Then he started waving to them as he drove.  This past week he has started to clearly slow down to wave to them.  If he should see that I am outside with them and he catches my eye, he takes off up the road like he's on fire.  It's hard to explain without knowing my development, but there is no reason for him to come up my street.  Based on where he lives and the entrances to my neighborhood, he is legitimately driving out of his way to see my kids.  

So here's the tough part:  he is NOT a registered offender.  He has never been convicted of a crime.  I don't know if he's even ever been charged with a crime.  He was pulled in for questioning once regarding trying to talk to/lure boys over to his car at a grocery store or something.  Everyone who has lived in my neighborhood for decades just seems to "know" that he's a pedo and that he only likes young boys (gross!) , but yet, it's essentially just a rumor.  Though my neighbor's son, who is a cop, insists that he is one.  This information puts me in a tough spot.  After all, he's a private citizen.  He has a right to drive up my street.  It's not illegal or harassing to wave to children.  I worry that if I speak to police I'll sound like a crazy, bored suburban housewife making a big deal out of nothing.   But yet, it's pretty scary.  My neighborhood is FULL of children, but between my house and the next door neighbor, there are 5 little boys and we're outside constantly...hence his fascination with our part of the neighborhood.  

Thoughts?

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
suetoo
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Call police and ask what you can do. Note car details. Start log. Document everything you told us. Get cop and large intimidating male friends to stand in a line waving back at next driveby. Take zoom pictures. Get parents to contribute to pay private detective to get his rap sheet and dig for proof of any charges. Don't wait to act.

Kmary
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks for your thoughts, suetoo!  Pretty big update:  Spoke with police.  They actually called me after my brother casually mentioned the situation to a friend of his who is a cop.  They confirmed everything:  he is a serious danger.  Has never been charged with a crime, but there was a very creepy incident at a local grocery store where he was leaving candy behind his car and then just sitting in his car and waiting...clearly trying to lure a child.  Unfortunately, putting candy on the ground is not illegal and they couldn't hold him.  But he's been "on their radar" ever since (9 years).  During questioning he openly admitted to being attracted to blond haired, blue eyed boys and that he had supposedly had counseling to deal with this problem.  Between my house and our next door neighbors there are 3 blond haired blue eyed boys and 5 little boys altogether who play outside all the time.  Hence his fascination.

Police stopped by today and took a statement from me.  They really want to search his house, but are concerned they don't have enough evidence to get a search warrant.  They're going to try, though.  They asked me to document every time he drives by, just as you suggested and to remain in contact.  They are going to be in the neighborhood at random in an unmarked car and pull him over...easy to do since this weirdo is also a legitimate hoarder.  His car is floor to ceiling garbage.  He can't see out the back, which is illegal.  

Jillysmom
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:31 AM

So glad you are being proactive with this. Take pictures and make notes very time, including what boys were out when he passing. Sick creep

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I agree with everyone else! 
We had creepy ice cream dude.... only he was watching me! 

Cecelia712
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Wow, scary ,
Glad the police are involved! Definitely keep records on times he drives by, and keep close eyes on the kids!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)