Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Name Help!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:11 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 236 Total Views

So, I really want to honor family members with middle names, but I am having a terrible time coming up with something that works.   For boys, I like the names Parker & Oliver.  My dad's name is Mark James.  Mark doesn't work with our last name at all.  So, Parker James works but I don't want an OJ, either.  So, my question is... Can I use Markus as a middle name and still be honoring my dad.  Like Oliver Markus??

Similarly, my grandmother's name is Joan Frances.  Joan doesn't work with our last name.  And, I really don't like Frances (neither does she).  So, can I use Francesca and still be honoring my grandmother??

In other words, is changing the name still an honor or is it kinda rude??  Let me know what you think!

Love, Shawnna
Mommy to Jeremiah, Lexi & Cameron
nursebackpacklunchbagtoddler boy

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Punkrawkpookie
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM

It doesn't have to be the first name or the same version of the name to still be honoring someone. You know who you would be honoring and why, regardless if it's not the exact same... I slightly named my first after my dad by giving him the same initials... but none of the names are the same. It's all in how you view it. If you think it would be rude or not the same... then that's how you'll always feel. So just spend some time thinking about it and then come to your decision. I totally understand and think it's ok to use a similar name to honor someone. :)

Tifne
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:53 PM

My niece, Briella, was named for my grandma who is Ella Mae; they just used the "ella" part and made it their own.  Grandma was still very touched by the gesture and not offended in the slightest that they altered her name instead of just using the whole thing.

Shawnna622
by Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Quoting Tifne:

My niece, Briella, was named for my grandma who is Ella Mae; they just used the "ella" part and made it their own.  Grandma was still very touched by the gesture and not offended in the slightest that they altered her name instead of just using the whole thing.

Oh, I like that!  Thanks for the story.  It helps :)  I really like the idea, but didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. 

Love, Shawnna
Mommy to Jeremiah, Lexi & Cameron
nursebackpacklunchbagtoddler boy

Pregnancy%20ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker

2boysngirls
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:37 PM

It's the thought that counts, and as long as you and the person being honored (if they are still alive) know then what does it matter. It is always fun to tell the story behind your kids name if people ask. I like all the names you have.

Tifne
by Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Quoting Shawnna622:

Quoting Tifne:

Oh, I like that!  Thanks for the story.  It helps :)  I really like the idea, but didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. 

No problem :)  I can't imagine anyone taking offense or thinking something is rude when it is done with only good intentions.  I think any of the names you choose will be great and honor the person they are meant to.

Shari421
by Member on Jan. 28, 2010 at 12:12 PM

My husband middle name is John every boy on his dad side is named John first or middle so what I did was told my husband that John had to stop but he could keep the J going.He liked it alot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)