Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Education Information

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:08 PM
  • 7 Replies

For those ACTIVE DUTY spouses that are interested in persuing any form of higher education degree (any level) or certification take advantage of this program. The program gives spouses $6000 towards a portable degree. The money doesn't have to be repaid. Becasue of all the interest in the program there is some backlog. Take a look at the website. It has all different degree possibilities as well as lists of the different schools you can attend (both on campus and online schools).

https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa/

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lcappytan05
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I just wanted to add to this that as far as I know, every spouse who applies is approved.

I got approved and was awarded the full $6000...and I love this program, it is absolutely wonderful and takes a bit of the stress off of worrying about how some of my school bills will be paid.

Army wife to Chad (12/28/2007) army

Mommy to Jeffrey (10/14/2009) baby boy

Join us on

The Military Moms Group

Seans_mommy123
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:30 PM

You are correct that every spouse gets approved as long as all their information can be verified through DEERS.

I just wanted to add to this that as far as I know, every spouse who applies is approved.

I got approved and was awarded the full $6000...and I love this program, it is absolutely wonderful and takes a bit of the stress off of worrying about how some of my school bills will be paid.

SusanD
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:16 AM

Other educational programs also exist. For example, the post 9-11 MGIB will allow active duty service members who have served 6 years and commit to serve at least 4 more to transfer a portion of their MGIB benefits over to their spouses (regardless of branch). Active duty army soldiers can transfer over their traditional MGIB to their spouses.

If you are a resident of Texas and have college age children state legislation was just passed in Sept that allows for students who are children of deployed service members to be tuition exempt during the semesters the parent is deployed.

If the active duty service member entered into service in the state of Texas, and meets the requirements for the Hazelwood Act (tuition exemption) then this can also now be transferred to dependents.

The last two only apply to service members in Texas or from Texas and only apply to Texas education institutions.

fairymom2316
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:56 AM

Someone mentioned to me a few days ago that they are giving an additional $1000 starting next year. I believe it's a different programs. Is this true? Has anyone else heard about it?

Ft.Hood 11.05.09*May they Rest in Peace*

Join us on The Preschool Group! Preschool Group Mod

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I also applied for this.  It is a really great program.  I have not enrolled into any classes yet though.

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM

I haven't heard about that, but I will keep my eye out for it.

Quoting fairymom2316:

Someone mentioned to me a few days ago that they are giving an additional $1000 starting next year. I believe it's a different programs. Is this true? Has anyone else heard about it?

babowes
by on Nov. 8, 2010 at 3:21 AM
Can it be used for cooking schools, scuba schools, or other certifications?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)