Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever been military? Considered it?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:49 PM
  • 23 Replies

How many of you have been in the military?  Did you ever consider it?

Long before my husband and I ever met, I wanted to be a pilot.  I was going to go to school, join the Navy or Marines, and try to get into flight school.  I know the wash-out rate is ridiculously high, but it was my dream.  As I got older, things changed.  Mostly, I wasn't that interested in the amount of tedious aeronautical knowledge I'd have to acquire.  When I found out my husband (then boyfriend) enlisted, I didn't want to be dual-military, so any remaining desire I had to just enlist was gone.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanD
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:09 AM

I was active duty army and got out a few years ago.

jaderoatch
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 1:07 AM

i was army reserve and then got discharged cuz of me being preggo with my son inever made it to ait so thats why they let me go and then a few months after that i broke my neck so i think iwould have gotten it either way 

Pregnancy ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker      *~*jade*~*

mamamissy23
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 8:46 AM

My husband and I were Dual Navy until Last year.

JamiDesigns
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I enlisted in the Army in 1998. I went through all but 2 weeks of basic at Ft. Jackson, SC. I got out due to a medical condition. I loved it! I was going to be an electrical engineer. I was one of the star soldiers in my BT unit. I was squad leader. My Capt. told me I was headed towards honor graduate. My PT scores were one of the highest of all the females. Then a few years later, in 2001, I was enlisting in the Navy. I was going to be a Corpsman (nurse). I found out I was pregnant with my daughter while I was at MEPS. They sent me home the day before I was due to leave for boot camp. My ex was in the Marines. I divorced him. He was abusive to me. I am remarried to the most wonderful man, who was in the Army. We were an active duty family for 4 yrs. He got out last Dec. He's now National Guard. If I didn't have kids to be concerned with, I'd rejoin. I love the military!

**The above graphic is copyright of JamiDesigns! **

Dayija
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:23 AM

I was in the AF...that's how I met my hubby. We worked together! 

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM

I was considering the Air Force when I got pregnant with my first child.  I didn't think about it anymore after that.  My husband has told me that I should get in shape and join, but I don't know if I am cut out for the military now. 

tangleballlover
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I  have considered it a lot, but I have 2 kids and I am very attached to them and it would be too hard for me to go through Basic and AIT w/o them...plus I could NOT do a deployment and be away that long. It would tear me apart.

MommaTuneses
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I've been in for 2 1/2 years and Hubby since January.  It's been very hard to say the least. I still have 2 1/2 years and idk yet what to do. Seems like it's too much, especially with a LO. He graduated 1st October and we are still waiting on my orders to join him at his duty station.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

US Army Soldier ~ US Army Wife ~ Mother of Brokk (05~21~09), US Army Brat

I don't wear my parenting style like a badge cause my son wears it as a smile.

nemiller
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:07 PM

i'm sorry, mama.  this is one of those things that concerned me, and ultimately made me not want to enlist.  right after i had my son, i met a marine who's husband was also a marine.  they had been petitioning to be stationed together since they first got married (like 2 years before i met her), and the marine corps wouldn't do it.  they basically said that her MOS was needed here and his MOS was needed there, and nobody told them to go get married, so it was their problem.  it broke my heart for her.

Quoting MommaTuneses:

I've been in for 2 1/2 years and Hubby since January.  It's been very hard to say the least. I still have 2 1/2 years and idk yet what to do. Seems like it's too much, especially with a LO. He graduated 1st October and we are still waiting on my orders to join him at his duty station.

StillMagnolia
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 5:17 PM

We were dual-Marine Corps until I got out.  My time was up 3 days after my DS was born.  Thank God. I miss it a lot sometimes but all I have to do is think about the day I left my 4 month old DD to deploy to Iraq and I don't miss it anymore. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)