Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you feel if your child enlisted?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:53 PM
  • 35 Replies

How would you feel if your child enlisted or took a commission?  Do you any of you have grown children who have joined the military?

I would be terrified if my son joined the military.  I know that's a really odd thing to say, considering I've always been a military dependent.  This lifestyle is normal to me.  But I don't want to send my baby off to boot camp.  It was different with my dad, since I had no control there anyway.  And it's different with my husband, because I have been an active participant in the choices he's made in his career.  But if it were my son, I know I'd be worried every minute of every day.  That's not to say I wouldn't be proud.  I just hope that my son will go to college first, before making any decisions about his future.

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SusanD
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:08 AM

I would fully support it. It would be quite hypocritical to do otherwise given that my DH is active duty and I was active duty. I'd be quite proud actually.

Dayija
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:26 AM

If my son came to me and told me he wanted to join I'd make sure he did his research before. I want him to be 100% sure that he thought that was the choice for him. Too many people have regret about joining and just end up miserable. It's not for everyone. 

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:41 AM

As long as they felt they were making the best decision for them, I would support it 100%.  I am not really sure how I would feel though.  I would be glad that they were taking a step towards creating some sort of career for themselves.  I am sure that I would also worry about them though, but I am going to worry about them no matter what they do. 

fairymom2316
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:16 AM

It's hard to imagine since they are little right now, LOL

If they did, I'm sure their daddy would have a talk with them about the pros and cons. If they still decide to join, then I would support them 100%.

mswo1234
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Yes, we would. Actually our oldest is wanting to join the Army to be a nurse. We fully support her decision, even at 11 years old. I have told her when the time comes & she still wants to join, that she has the best resource available with her dad. That also goes for our other 2 children.

tangleballlover
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I agree :)

Quoting fairymom2316:

If they did, I'm sure their daddy would have a talk with them about the pros and cons. If they still decide to join, then I would support them 100%.

StillMagnolia
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Me too!

Quoting tangleballlover:

I agree :)

Quoting fairymom2316:

kaker104
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 10:40 PM

I'd stand behind him 110%. If he wants to follow in his father and grandfathers' footsteps, who am I to stop him? 

dsptchmommy
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I do NOT want my children to enlist and I pray they never will. If they did I would be terrified, worried sick, and very sad...yet also very proud. I wouldn't like it but I would completely support them every step of the way!

samgoss
by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 10:47 PM

I would be very proud if my son joined the military. I would worry about him if he was ever deployed, but I would support him 100 percent. The military is a great choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)