Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I Hate It Here...

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:44 AM
  • 61 Replies

What was the duty station that you liked the least?

I know there are some pretty bad ones, but there has to be one that sticks out in your mind...and why?

For us, we hate it where we are now...which is Schweinfurt, Germany.

Germany as a whole is nice but not where we are at...lol.

There is absolutely nothing fun to do around here unless you like to eat doners and drink like a fish 24/7. I also hate that we are so far from home...I can't just hop in a car and visit my mom...and that kind of sucks.

So, which one did you not like and why?

Army wife to Chad (12/28/2007) army

Mommy to Jeffrey (10/14/2009) baby boy

Military Moms
Join us on The Military Moms Group - -Military Moms Group Mod

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kristinlimon
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:21 AM

Of the two I've been to probably Hohenfels,Germany but its not a post really. A little boring and not all that big but its become home. 

I would KILL to be in Schweinfurt! We have friends there and we always find things to do when we go to visit. In fact we will be headed up there on the weekend after Thanksgiving to visit them and attend their sons first birthday Party. Come to Hohenfels for a few days you will learn that Schweinfurt isnt all that bad. lol

babycakesaz
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Ugh im in Baumholder, Germany. It totally sucks here, there isnt anything to do for entertainment! Its like a joke lol. It is in a good location though, 1 hour from Metz france, 3 from Paris, 5 from Amsterdam. But all in all i hate it here. lol.

lcappytan05
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:29 AM

I would love to be that close to France! I can speak French and have yet to use that talent...lol.

As far as the other PP's comment: I just kind of hate Germany altogether. Germany reminds me too much home...I am from southern Illinois and it looks a lot like Germany with the open fields and such...so it makes me really homesick.

Quoting babycakesaz:

Ugh im in Baumholder, Germany. It totally sucks here, there isnt anything to do for entertainment! Its like a joke lol. It is in a good location though, 1 hour from Metz france, 3 from Paris, 5 from Amsterdam. But all in all i hate it here. lol.

Military Moms

lcappytan05
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:30 AM

I guess it really depends on how you take it...

I have known people who were stationed at Hohenfels and said they love it there...so to each their own I guess.

Quoting kristinlimon:

Of the two I've been to probably Hohenfels,Germany but its not a post really. A little boring and not all that big but its become home. 

I would KILL to be in Schweinfurt! We have friends there and we always find things to do when we go to visit. In fact we will be headed up there on the weekend after Thanksgiving to visit them and attend their sons first birthday Party. Come to Hohenfels for a few days you will learn that Schweinfurt isnt all that bad. lol

Military Moms

kristinlimon
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Dont get me wrong I like it here but out of the two posts we have been at this is my least favorite. But I would love it if I could walk out the gates and be in a town where I could actually buy something or buy what I need on post. We drive to Graf to get almost everything out of necesity not out of want. I would KILL for your px. its double the size of ours. and you can get so much more at your commissary than ours. Its crazy. 

Quoting lcappytan05:

I have known people who were stationed at Hohenfels and said they love it there...so to each their own I guess.

Quoting kristinlimon:

iLove.nml
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:23 AM

hmm, it looks like Germany is loosing!

We are at Spangdahlem AB. It is such a small base in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing to do around here and we don't speak German, which makes it more difficult. I wouldn't say I hate it here though. We have gone into Luxembourg, which I love, but they speak French and I know a little French. We have been able to go to Cologne and see the Cathedral and we plan on visiting Paris and London while we are here. So, it's not fun and it is boring on a day to day basis. But over all I'm glad we are here.

lcappytan05
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:23 AM

lol, seriously?

I guess you do have it worse then...lol, because quite frankly our commissary and PX are the size of tuna cans....lol...we went to Graf. once and I love it there...it's how things SHOULD be set up...not scattered all over the place like we have (DH originally was at Graf. and then his platoon moved here...)

Quoting kristinlimon:

Dont get me wrong I like it here but out of the two posts we have been at this is my least favorite. But I would love it if I could walk out the gates and be in a town where I could actually buy something or buy what I need on post. We drive to Graf to get almost everything out of necesity not out of want. I would KILL for your px. its double the size of ours. and you can get so much more at your commissary than ours. Its crazy. 

Quoting lcappytan05:

Quoting kristinlimon:

Military Moms

lcappytan05
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:27 AM

lol, i think it's because we are all almost halfway done with our day here...everyone else back in the states are probably still sleeping or are just getting up...lol...we'll see who is "losing" later...lol.

I would love to visit places like that...I speak french as well.

We have gone to Berlin (absolutely gorgeous and so full of history...plus they are known for their night life)...but we really dont have the kind of money it takes to travel here...

Quoting iLove.nml:

We are at Spangdahlem AB. It is such a small base in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing to do around here and we don't speak German, which makes it more difficult. I wouldn't say I hate it here though. We have gone into Luxembourg, which I love, but they speak French and I know a little French. We have been able to go to Cologne and see the Cathedral and we plan on visiting Paris and London while we are here. So, it's not fun and it is boring on a day to day basis. But over all I'm glad we are here.

Military Moms

iLove.nml
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 8:31 AM

Yes, that's true about the time! lol

Money is a problem. We would like to visit Paris and London, but we'll see. Luxembourg is easy though because it is only 35 min to the city.

Quoting lcappytan05:

lol, i think it's because we are all almost halfway done with our day here...everyone else back in the states are probably still sleeping or are just getting up...lol...we'll see who is "losing" later...lol.

I would love to visit places like that...I speak french as well.

We have gone to Berlin (absolutely gorgeous and so full of history...plus they are known for their night life)...but we really dont have the kind of money it takes to travel here...

Quoting iLove.nml:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)