Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Do you speak a foreign language?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:37 AM
  • 7 Replies

I have taken 5 years of Spanish in my life and still really can't speak it.  I have never really had the opportunity to use it.

Since we are pcs'ing to Europe next year, I am hoping to get my kids interested in learning a foreign language.  I think it will be a great opportunity to immerse them in one so that they can really learn.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rotPferd
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Check to see if your hubby can take on-line classes thru skillport. He can request the Rossetta Stone language software and you can do it on your home computer. I took german. You need a microphone headset and off you go!

"You won, alright? You came in and you killed them and you took their land. That's what conquering nations do. That's what Ceasar did. He's not going around saying 'I came, I conquered, I felt really bad about it'. The history of the world is not about making friends. You had better weapons and you massacred them. End of story."  Spike

tangleballlover
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I took 3 years of Spanish in HS, used it some to decipher Kroger customers when I worked there and one didn't know how to speak English, but I have lost all of it now that I've been out of HS for a while. I'm most likely going to be taking Spanish next semester for college.

mcquistionmom2
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I speak and can understand a little spanish but its been about 8 years since I've taken a class. I am going to school right now though and I am working on my nursing pre-reqs and plan to take at least 4 semesters of spanish just because I think it will be good to have working in a hospital/doctor's office environment where you many not always have time to find a translator for important medical history questions.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:39 AM

I speak and understand Tagalog. (Filipino) I started learing when I med DH.

Follow me to Army Wives

lcappytan05
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I can speak french fairly well. I also know very little german...

I was going to do the rosetta stone for german but DH never ordered it through his AKO and i kind of just got too busy for it...

Army wife to Chad (12/28/2007) army

Mommy to Jeffrey (10/14/2009) baby boy

Military Moms
Join us on The Military Moms Group - -Military Moms Group Mod

fairymom2316
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 2:55 PM

We speak Spanish in our household and they are teaching my daughter French in her school (she's in Pre-K, i love her school!)

nemiller
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 3:14 PM

i don't.  i avoided spanish in high school by taking ASL and i don't remember much of it.  i wish that i had taken a foreign language seriously.  i'd like to learn, and i'll encourage my son to learn at least one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)