Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DADT

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM
  • 20 Replies

What are your feelings on "Don't Ask, Don't Tell"?

Personally, none of our military friends care one bit about the sexuality of other soldiers and do not find DADT necessary.  I really find it sad that a military member that has dedicated their life to being a good soldier can lose their entire career over their sexuality.

I do not think that military members should ever be forced to expose their sexuality, but if it does come out, it should not be a basis to be released.  If they are good soldiers, we should want them defending our country and people.

I also feel that by repealing DADT, it will give people that are gay more rights.  If they are being harassed, they can come forward and say, "I am being harassed because I am gay."  This will provide the information needed to handle the situation.  Right now, they can't come out and say outright why they are being harassed without jeopardizing their career.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tangleballlover
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:42 AM

DADT...ahhhhh. I just wrote a Sociology Term paper on the subject. And got a perfect grade. I am absolutely 100% against DADT. I think it is incredibly discriminating and wrong.

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:43 AM

I agree.  I do not believe civil rights should stop at the government's doorstep.

Quoting tangleballlover:

DADT...ahhhhh. I just wrote a Sociology Term paper on the subject. And got a perfect grade. I am absolutely 100% against DADT. I think it is incredibly discriminating and wrong.

.Misha.
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I am incredibly pro DADT.

Sweetmami07
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:47 AM

I feel the same way about this as I do about being fat. They are both ways to discriminate against people with out breaking the law!

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Do you want to expand on that at all?

Quoting .Misha.:

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:50 AM

The thing is that they would be breaking the law if it was any other entity except the government.  Sexuality is protected in the civil rights act.  But, the government has made an exception to where they do not have to follow it, but everyone else does.  So, they are basically saying, "Do as I say, not as I do."

Quoting Sweetmami07:

I feel the same way about this as I do about being fat. They are both ways to discriminate against people with out breaking the law!

.Misha.
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I don't have to justify my beliefs. I stated rather clearly how I feel. No further explanation is needed.

Quoting myfoursonsks:

Quoting .Misha.:

Army_Wife41
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Against it. 100%. My husband knows who is gay in his unit, and doesn't give a crap either way. He actually likes to know so that he can tone down the "gay" teasing when around those certain people. I mean anyone who knows a soldier knows that they mercilessly tease each other lol. It is just what happens. But on things like their religion, or family, or even sexual preference...they still try and be respectful. And if you go around calling someone a fag in a derogatory way...and they are actually gay.....it will probably not be taken in a "all in good fun" way.

My husband deployed with a guy who is as gay as they come, and he had many opportunities to out him for it. But the guy fought with him in a firefight, and in essence had my husband's life in his hands. They both came home safe, so why would my husband give him up for that? I did ask him why he never told, and his response was something along the lines of...He is a good soldier, he has always looked out for me, so I will look out for him.

DADT....is outdated, and needs to be gone.

baby

CafeMom Tickers

myfoursonsks
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I didn't ask you to justify.  I was asking you to share your thoughts.  It is called a discussion.

Quoting .Misha.:

I don't have to justify my beliefs. I stated rather clearly how I feel. No further explanation is needed.

Quoting myfoursonsks:

Quoting .Misha.:

jmetz4
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I'm with both of you.I think its ridiculous and offensive. I think it hurts alot more then it helps.

Quoting myfoursonsks:

I agree.  I do not believe civil rights should stop at the government's doorstep.

Quoting tangleballlover:

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)